[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE NEW WORLD

THE NEW WORLD

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE NEW WORLD

Postby maikuu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE NEW WORLD

Postby Edouard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi everyone :D

3) Why did she finally choose John Rolfe?

After the departure of Captain John Smith, played by Collin Farrell, Pocahontas is really sad. She just spent her days crying and felt in a depression. Then, Captain Newport tells Pocahontas that her lover is dead, drown[ed] during the crossing. Pocahontas is devastated when she meets John Rolfe, played by Christian Bale. He is really kind to her, and help[s] her everyday. She marries him and they have a son. It seems that Pocahontas is with him by spite, and is still in love with Captain Smith. This is confirmed when she meet[s] Captain Smith again in England and kiss[es] him in the garden.

Teacher's Note: Thanks for posting first and providing a chronological sequence of events leading up to the marriage to John Rolfe. Bravo.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
Edouard

Postby Piedad San Martin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:05 am

Why did she finally choose John Rolfe?
- She chooses to John Rolfe (Christian Bale) because he gives to her security, and also because he is a really nice and kind person. After the experience she had with John Smith (Colin Farrell), she is badly damaged and depressed. Fearful of returning to feel so alone as when Smith leaves her side, she looks for something that has the minimum option to fail. She has no one in her life, not Smith or his family, so she looks for refuge in Rolfe, also in search of a home. Initially Pocahontas chooses Rolfe only by necessity and convenience, but then the feelings are transformed. After his [her] meeting with Smith, she realizes she loves her husband and that he has no comparison with the image he had of his former love.

Teacher's Note: I like how this brief starts with a topic sentences that pretty much summarizes the answer to the question. But I wonder what Pocahontas realizes about John when she sees him in the English garden? Thanks for writing.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:
Piedad San Martin

Postby feng.lai » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:40 pm

This movie is kind of very new for me, and i do not know any america [American] history. I am not sure i got the right meaning, but it is still very intresting movie for me.
She shoose [chooses] John Rolfe, because he take[s] care of her several years. enven he know[s] that Pocahontas still loves Captain Smith. He is very nice and kind person to her. the other reson is his child, Pocahontas' life always changing, and she is tired of this. she just wants life with her child peaceful.

Teacher's Note: One of the reasons for choosing movies to show ESL students like this author is to possibly introduce them to some aspect of American culture. I'm gratified that I was able to introduce this author to the amazing and somewhat true story of Pocahontas, John Smith, and John Rolfe. It is amazing to me that this simple love story has reverberated through our history for 400 years. And Author, I think you got it right! Nice job.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)
feng.lai

Postby Claire » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:15 pm

In my opinion, the most important reason is because she met John Rolfe when she was very maudlin.
Her heart was broken when she heard the news which [that] John Smith was dead. At that time, John Rolfe treated her tenderly.
He was like a big tree, and he could take her under his wings [branches?].
Although she knew John Smith was still alive, and they met again, she already got [had already gotten] married and had a cute son with John Rolfe.
How could she abandon her warm family and John Rolfe’s love? In the end, she realized she was a blest [blessed] woman and truly fell in love with John Rolfe.

Claire

Teacher's Note: This author does an excellent job of summarizing the changes in the life of Pocahontas. Maudlin is an interesting word choice as I don't think it gets used much in modern English, but it would have been a way to describe Pocahontas in her time. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
Claire

Postby mingyeong » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 pm

2) Why is her name never mentioned in the movie?

She was "someone" to those who were in the movie. She was the most lovely daughter to her father, a part of nature interacting with her whole body, a woman to smith in spite of the lack in communicating, a helper to those desperate from cold weather and starveness, and a sweet mommy to her son. Actually, while I saw this movie I felt that she did her every role in perfect different ways: maybe the ways can be something belonged to one way.

Frankly speaking I always try to do my roles in a kind of perfect way. However it was not about just an effort, i think. That is more about comprehending myself put in these surroundings and the flow of the world above, below, and around me. I read an article which is about a way Native Americans understand their nature. It said, they consider themselves as just a leaf of trees, or same as a handful of soil. They feel the breeze, sky, and feel appreciate appreciation] from a meal they can get from the nature.

But I found myself eating foods in meaningless way, feeling frustrated so easily from sth which is so unimportant, complaining the people who disturb my way to school instead of having a grateful mind to this world or sth(if there is a God,). The last scene of the movie which ends with tall trees covering the 70% of sky above, was felt as being her, going back to her mother, who can be the nature or this world, looking above those tall trees as a little tiny thing on the soil.

It reminded me of who I am or what I shoulda take count of instead of strugglin[g] with things trivial. Anyway, she was marvelous. Trying to be an ideal woman or wife or daughter to someone seemed so ridiculous while I saw her. I think in some way, she can also be named as nature.

Teacher's Note: Why the name is never spoken is a difficult question, and I'm not sure this essay answers that puzzle. What impresses me is how Pocahontas, who lived so long ago, could still inspire an ESL student from another country in such a way as expressed in the words above. That's really beautiful! Thanks for posting and sharing your feelings.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :D
mingyeong

Postby Jessie0107 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:21 am

1) What makes Pocahontas such a remembered and celebrated figure in history?

I believe that is because she adapted to a completely new world. Even for me, it is always hard to fit in[to] a new environment. For pocahontas, it was more than "new" because this new world had different language, different way of thinking , different culture, different manners, and more! I think I can identify into her more because I amd in kind of similar situation. I'm in a different country where people speak in different language, different culture and different food.. and more! Based on my experience until now, no wonder she died young. As it is always hard to be in a world that is not your world but someone else's, i personally hoped she would go back to her dad and live as happily as ever been.

Teacher's Note: This author makes an insightful observation by noticing the similarities between the life of Pocahontas and that of an ESL student. Brilliant! Please be careful with GPS. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
Jessie0107

Postby fal1986 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I think that Pocahontas is a great simbol [symbol] of peace among her tribe and also between her tribe and the english settlers.Therefore, she was both loved and well respected by everyone. However, I did not understand why her father became mad at her and told her that he did not want to talk to her again. Is it because she chose a foriegn man to marry? In my point of view, I think this love relationship between Pocahontas and captain smith might lead to peace and tranqulity between the two nations. I felt it wierd when smith left Pocahontas and lied to her about him being alive, I really did not know why he did that. Pocahontas made the right decision when she chose to remain John rolfes' wife. At least he did not abandon her, also their child have kept their relationship even stronger.
Fahad.

Teacher's Note: Some excellent points are covered here. The reason Pocahontas' father disowned her was easy to miss in the movie. When the Indians discovered that the English were planting corn, they realized that the English had no intention of leaving the New World as they had promised. It was Pocahontas who gave them the corn seed, making this possible. In doing so, she may have actually changed the course of history. (Think about that!)

But why did she give the English the corn seed? Maybe it was because of her naive application of Indian philosophy and way of life. She treated everyone with the same love and respect. She saw nothing wrong in what she was doing. I think she was the one who had already saved the English once before when they were starving, and she lead the Indians to their fort with food. It's an interesting story and a good lesson in life.

Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :(
fal1986

Postby Boonchai » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am

In my opinion, the reasons that Pocahontas chose John Rolfe[were] because he gave the love to her a lot. Also, John Rolfe took care Pocahontas while she felt depressed, and time that she spend with John Rolfe was longer than [the time spent with] Captain John Smith. The reasons that Pocahontas didn't chose Captain John Smith was he left her alone, and he lied to her. Other reason that Pocahontas chose John Rolfe was she has a son with John Rolfe, so it held her to stay with him. John Rolfe was very kind too since he gave Pocahontas the chance to meet Captain John Smith for prove her self, so that's why she chose John Rolfe.

Teacher's Note: Both sides of the issue are well explored. Nice job. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :geek:
Boonchai

Postby kyou90 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi,

Pocahontas would be a pioneer of England if we see that from opposite side. She adapted a new culture she had never seen and been entirely different from hers.
She didn't give up to keep up with Smith, even though she was not allowed to.
Smith's going away was too shocking to her. She lost her love. And John came up. He became her soulmate. He tried to understand her everything. He truly loved her.
Pocahontas knew that when she was in England. Captain Smith's appearing confused her, but she believed what she chose to believe.

Teacher's Note: Indeed, can anyone imagine what it must have been like for a young Indian woman in the early 1600s to make such a leap of faith by immersing herself in English life and even visiting the King and Queen of England? Amazing story. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
kyou90

Next

Return to Movie Reports