FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL

Postby whygub » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 am

Hi everyone :)

To me, Peter’s journey of healing starts when he decides to go to Hawaii as he shows his attempt to try to move on in life without his ex-girlfriend, Sarah Marshall, though he seems to be confused at first if he really wants to fight himself to forget her or not.

But then, he meets some people in Hawaii who change his attitude, such as, a newly married couple who are supposed to be happy but they are suffering with their sex life which means their love life is not perfect too, Kanu or Chuck, a surfer who takes him to the ocean and inspires him to surf, a big Hawaiian hotel man who always cheer him up with nice words, and the most important person “Rachel” a pretty hotel receptionist.

Rachel takes Peter to different places which helps open up his eyes and mind. Hanging out with a lively girl like Rachel soothes Peter’s mind and he finally falls in love with her. After having new friendships in Hawaii and accepting his cousin’s wife, Peter decides to toss away his sorrow and be a new man.

In my opinion, it’s very simple to deal with the pain in your heart like going out to see different places that you have never been to and meet new people. It truely helps refreshing your depressed mind, but it’s just not easy to overcome the bad feelings in yourself and stand up to go out to see new things; it’s actually as hard as waking up in the morning, but once you get up, you feel more awake.

And of course, meeting a new love always makes it easier to forget the old one; it has been a classic way to heal your heart in all eras, but it all depends on yourself, if you don’t open your heart then how could you find a new love. And from that your heart will never be healed.

Chanida AKA
WhY~

Teacher's Note: Thanks for a super-thorough and well-composed essay on Peter's journey of healing. An old friend once told me pretty much what the last paragraph says. The best way to get over an old love is to find a new love. There is another POV that says you should heal first, then move on. What do you think? Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :oops:
whygub

Postby Boonchai » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 pm

I think Peter and Rachel have a chance in the long run because Rachel is accept [Rachel accepts] Peter more than Sarah for example when he played the song about dracula Rachel admired him while Sarah ignore the song. Also, Peter is real slob, so some Rachel personality showed ability to manage this problem more than Sarah since Rachel was working in the hotel. Peter just stop relationship with Sarah then Rachel came to calm him down; therefore, he impressed Rachel a lot. Also Rachel impressed Peter because when they went on date, she had good feeling with him that she didn't have with anyone for a long time; thus, it might be last love for her and him.

Teacher's Note: This author brings up some smart reasons why Peter and Rachel might have a chance at true love. It is not so much that they are similar, but that their character traits complement each other. e.g. He's a slob; she's a hotel worker. Perfect. :lol: Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:
Boonchai

Postby omarnafisi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 am

My respond is towards question A; Peter's healing journey was destined to be that it involved his ex Sarah. (I mean, other than the fact that it was obviously going to happen, pretty predictable because of it being a generic movie.)

After meeting Rachel and getting it off with her, it was still too early for him to have moved on. Later on in the fling he gets another chance with Sarah and when he does, he realizes he doesn't love her anymore. Which [This] leads him to realize that it's time to move on, and carry on with Rachel.
- Omar Alnafisi

Teacher's Note: This author covers the back and forth with Sarah pretty well. Not a clean break up, but a struggle first, then reality. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :oops:
omarnafisi

Postby Gangnamstyle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 am

It's just awesome!!

I like a comedy movie but not a love story.
However, this movie has an well-mixed comic love story, which I really liked.
After watching it, I watched it again in my home. When Peter went to Hawaii and met his ex-girlfriend, I got bored because it's obvious story that we can assume easily.
However, it became so funny because Peter's acting is so nice that he can describe very well.
This movie also has a character, Aldous snow, who has freaking funny British accent.
It was absolutely hilarious when a beach guy copied his voice.
I became to believe a true love which can make me so funny.
Thank you!

Teacher's Note: I personally think there's something cool to a good rom-com like Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I'm glad this one hit the spot. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
Gangnamstyle

Postby Metallica » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Why does Sarah fall for rock star, Aldous Snow?

This is the funniest movie we have ever seen in this class. In my opinion Sarah chose to be with Aldous Snow because he is a rock star. As we know celebrities like to see and date other celebrities so they can improve their career. Moreover, I think Sarah kind of a selfish person, so that is why she broke up with Pater. She wanted someone richer than Pater and can make her more famous. In my opinion, Sarah did not fall in love With Aldous, she loved what he has. However, in the end of the movie she seems that she regrets leaving Pater.

Aziz Alhalwan
Metallica

Previous

Return to Movie Reports