[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE SOCIAL NETWORK

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Postby maikuu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Postby Yumi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Hello! This is yumi :D

First, facebook became so popular because it is easy to communicate around the world.
For example, Japan also has a social network but it is only for Japanese people.
It is called MIXY in Japan. Several years ago, it became so popular in Japan.
However, it is not so popular because facebook is more easy to communicate with.
Zuckerberg is not the friendly type. I think this is the reason why he could create the facebook
because if you are a social person, you wouldn't think about communicating with people through the Internet.
You can talk with people face to face. However the facebook is imperative to live.
I think this is very interesting point :)

Hi Yumi-- Thanks for being the first to post on "the social network". I always thought social media was a bit of an oxymoron as I don't see much sociable in sitting behind a computer and sending a message, sight unseen. I find it amazing that Facebook has been so successful, even in other countries. It seems to just work better. --mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
Yumi

Postby cemozbek » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi, this is Cem.

In my point of view Facebook become so popular, because it is user friendly. It is so good to share your photos, videos and thoughts. Sometimes i think that people really needed a like button ! :lol: Before Facebook there was a lot of social websites that you can enjoy, but no one can be personalized his way. It is possible that you can show people even your relationship status stated as in the movie. Secondly, it is so trendy now. People are tend to do things which they are so popular. :roll: On the other hand, in my perspective people are losing their emotions because of technological developements. People are used to send each other real mail but now it is enough to leave a comment on Facebook for them. They are going to be more weird day by day :cry:

Hi Cem-- Thanks for an insightful observation on (the) Facebook. it's simply the best of its kind . . . so far. Do you think there will be new social media to challenge the supremacy of Facebook? What is your personal level of use with Facebook? In "the social network'" Zuckerberg's character even says that Facebook's popularity depends on its popularity, so it's important to be trendy. Weird. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
cemozbek

Postby xin jin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi, this is King.
In my opinion, the reason why facebook is so popular is that face book makes people show their personal lives and communicate more easily with each other. Facebook is a kind of blog, but it used members system, and basing on this system, people can show something they feel happy or feel interested. From this way, a lot of persons who have some difficulties in communication can easily connect others. They can find the persons who are in the same school, and invite them to be their “friends”, or invite the colleagues, or their real friends. Users can show themselves to others without any extra steps, and commonly, the extra steps can take them a lot of stress in real communication, so, on the facebook, they do not need think something like “ oh, they are looking at me!”, or “ they are laughing at me, did I make some mistakes?” or “ Oh no, she is looking at me, I do not want her to see me now!”.
It seems that facebook makes everything very easy, in fact, too depending on facebook will make a lot of homeboys or homegirls, and their communication problems still can not be saved. The shier, the more they depend on facebook, so facebook is not good for them.

Here is a joke. A boy was kidnapped, and the police catched the criminal and asked:” how do you let the boy go with you? How do you let the staffs of kindergarten trust that you are the boy’s parents friend?” The criminal said:” well, if you see the boy’s parents’ facebook pages, you can know everything about the boy.” Nowdays, people are not just happy to show their personal lives. In fact, they are crazy to show their private lives. I do not like it, because it makes the limites between personal and public is more and more obscure.

Hey King-- IMHO, you hit the nail right on the head. It seems Facebook addresses the shyness we all feel. It gives us a place to express feelings that are difficult to share in the moment. It makes private feelings public. But why must we feel compelled to do this? You are a genius.

Thanks for posting --mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
xin jin

Postby zhijian » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello! This is Zhijian Li(LUKE)

I believe that facebook is suceessful because it helps people find the persons people want. In facebook, people can find the girl they run into, a genius to collaborate or friends who have same hobby. Facebook make(s) it so easy to find a person we want. I could image many boys are looking for girls through facebook, and many ambtious guys are looking for opportunities through facebook. That's why facebook is popular. (I never use Facebook because Facebook is forbidden in China and I am not interested in social communication.)

About Mark Zuckerberg, he is definitely a hard-working guy. However, in the moive, he is a asshole. He betray his best friend and his loyal employee. I believe the moive does anything but admire him. He is selfish, arrogant and craz in moive. The moive does not clearly show whether he cheats. I tend to believe he stole others' ideal, because he finally compensate a lot of money for dismissing his accusation.

Ni-Hao Luke-- Some interesting points here. Facebook (and other social media) certainly gives people a way to connect. I just heard a story in the news about a guy in China who met a girl by chance but was too shy to ask her for a number. He contacted her by social media only to learn that she had a boyfriend. However, another girl heard his story, and she became his dream girl. Happy ending.

BTW, why is Facebook banned in China? Also, do you think the real Mark Zuckerberg is as bad as the movie version of the guy?

Thanks for posting --mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
zhijian

Postby khalidfs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:24 pm

hi im khalid. My opinion of mark zuckerburg in the movie is that he doesnt care to have friend. he just care about him self and about the website Facebook. I have seen this movie twice now and my opinion stays the same about him. Also, he goes behind hes friends backs who helped him create Facebook and goes his own way.
khalidfs

Postby Eunyoung » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Hello, this is Eunyoung(Angela).

I searched on the Internet and found out some differences between The Social Network and the fact. However, only considering this movie, Mark Zuckerberg is a real pathetic person. He was brilliant and established The Social Network which has over one billion users now, but at the very end of the movie, there was nobody around him. The only friend of him, Eduardo, was against him at the court, Sean was arrested for drugs and his ex-girlfriend was using Facebook but still not confirming friend request from him. He was the man who built “The Social Network World,” but he, himself, was not a sociable person at all, which is so ironic. For his view, the world might seem like a computer network, but the reality is not. We can categorize our relationships by clicking “confirm button” or not. Facebook can be a good means of social communication, but we, including Mark Zuckerberg, should be aware that this is not everything and there are more important things in real relationships than what Facebook shows us.
Eunyoung

Postby souzavirgilio » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello, this is Virgilio (Souza).

I believe the main reason why Facebook is so popular is that it is user-friendly, which means you don't have to make a huge effort to share information with a lot of people simultaneously. Maybe that's what makes it different from MySpace, Friendster, and other social networks that offered some of the same features, but in a more complicated and disturbing way. In this sense, options such as "liking/sharing posts" and "uploading pictures" almost naturally became part of the routine of internet users. That is why Facebook turned into something addictive, with all its positive and negative effects, like the student from Stanford mentioned in the movie.

Hey Virgilio-- I just gotta say that this writing sample is pretty much perfect English including spelling and syntax. I'd like to know who your grammar/writing teacher(s) is/was. :-) Also, you make a good point about the ease of using Facebook. Plus, they do a great job of reminding me of any time a "friend" posts on line, so I can see what they posted and respond.

Thanks. --mike www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
souzavirgilio

Postby catherinew94 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

IN YOUR OPINION, WHY DID FACEBOOK BECOME SO POPULAR?

In my opinion, facebook has a loot of reason to become popular. As the movie "The Social network" point it out, facebook was made to know more about people. In fact, in a society where technologies has an important place, people lost their capacity to communicate and prefere hiding themselves behind a screen. Facebook's creator, Mark Zuckerberg (or Eduardo, or the Winklevoss' brothers, god only knows) understood this "21 century's disease". Consequently, he created a plateform that could be useful and finally addictive to the main question that people daily ask about others but never be able to ask: who is she/he? Is she/he free, single?
In our society, people become shier than ever and facebook permit them to get what they want and to open the world even after a date is finish or if you live 20 000 kilometers away from a person.
To conclude, if Facebook had to be summarize in a few words it would be "keep in touch".
catherinew94

Postby Abood93 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi I'm Abdullah Alzahameel Facebook, Facebook is the number one in the world as a social media website it's the second the most visited website after Google, and I think one of the biggest reasons why Facebook is so popular is that it's really simple you have profile pic and you write what you want and think about. Simplesim is the number one reason why people buy stuff visit a website normal people like simple things that's why Google is the number one that's why iphone is the number one selling phone in the world. Second it's connect the world together honestly I don't use Facebook but I started using Facebook after I made friends with people that I can't see everyday, and I wanted to keep in touch with them. Therfore Facebook is really a good way to keep in touch with your friends and family.
Abood93

Next

Return to Movie Reports