ARGO

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: ARGO

Postby vathanya » Wed May 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello Mike, this is Thanya:)
First of all, I would like to say that Argo is the best movie that I have watched recently in this year! The story, characters and scenes in the movie were blended together perfectly. Speaking for the scene that I'm impressed with, I like part that Tony Mendez and other six Americans were going to the airport to fly back to the United States. Although it was a super risky and crazy plan, everybody had to pretend to be totally calmed and that's the interesting part: how do they coped with that intense situation. Another thing that I love about this movie is the way it shows how are Iranians felt about the U.S. at that period: offended, furious and revengeful. The last but not least, it is a very nice movie for learning history, politics and international affairs at the same time. :D
P.s. sorry for the delay.

Hey Thanya-- I have to totally agree with your thoughts on Argo. I was on the edge of my seat the first time I watched the scene in the airport and when the plane finally left the ground leaving the police cars behind. I was also impressed with how the film reminded me of why the good people of Iran were angry with America and its policy toward Iran. I'm not a wiz at politics, but it saddens me to see this distrust between our governments still happening today. Thanks for a great post!
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
vathanya

Postby TheCoolest7 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Hey mike, this is Tarek aka Tom
The movie ARGO is a very interesting movie especially because it was released in a time that the relationship between the US and the Iranian governments are in tension the move was very interesting to watch because it was a true story that happened in the seventies. I think that the producer did a good job in general the only thing that I noticed that he made the Iranian protesters seem like barbaric people and that is I think might be offending to some Iranian.
Canada played a big roll on saving the hostages that’s why it takes credit for this rescue. The hostages where safely hidden in the Canadian ambassador house and they Canadian made fake passports to get them out putting their life at risk and as its known worldwide Canada is a very neutral country that does not interfere so it was nice that it did in this time.

Hey Tarek-- Great post--great insight! I was very young when all this happened, but I remember the evening news, the faces of the angry Iranians, screaming and burning things. It was very confusing to my mind, but even then, I could tell that my government had done something that made people very angry. Now that I have a young daughter, it is sometimes hard to explain things that appear in the news to her. The world is not always the place we wish it were. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
TheCoolest7

Postby Faris » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 pm

At first I thought this movie will be racist but No it was not. It was totally about politics and revolution in Iran.
I did not know that happened before it was shocking for me . More than that I read in Wikipedia
it was adapted from the book "The Master of Disguise" by (CIA) Central Intelligence Agency .
so guys if you are interested in stories like Argo you can read about it in.
Also I was surprised at the end of the movie said that the hostages were held in the Canadian embassy for 444 :o
I wish they gave us hints to know the process took a lot of time to finish

Faris-- Thanks for a cool post and for sharing the name of the book that Argo is based on (I didn't know this.) The 444 days does not refer to the six hostages in this story, but the other 50 who remained in Iran. The 50 were released soon after Ronald Reagan became the US president, but I don't know what was negotiated.
Regards --mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Faris

Postby RafifAlshebl » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

It was my first time seing this movie. I learned a lot about the relationship between Iran and Amireca now i fater i saw the movie. However, it was amovie made by Americans, so most of what i saw was from an american point of view; therefor, i cant deside who had the right then. |Anyhow i really enjoyed watching the movie whith my classmates and the teacher. The discussion that went through my group about the movie was very beneficial.
RafifAlshebl

Postby sarah alsadoun » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:50 am

Hey .

I’ve seen this movie twice and I really like it. Argo talks about an action story that happened in Iran about six American hostages hid in the Canadian ambassador’s house in Iran. Tony Mendez has a difficult job, which is help those hostages to take them back from Iran. Moreover, Mendez come up with brilliant idea, which is pretend that he and the hostages are movie crew in “ Argo movie.” Mendez takes such a big risk with his life to help them because he’s job to help people and he has experience in this situation. Finally, Canada takes a risk to help them because Canada is friend with United States.
sarah alsadoun

Postby OMARHHASAN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

Hi, this is Omar, this is the first time for me seeing this movie, i heared about it beforebut I haven't seen it. The movie is N Academy award winner and i think that it's the best movie in 2012
OMARHHASAN

Previous

Return to Movie Reports