[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Postby maikuu » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 am

INGREDIENTS
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped mango (peeled and stone removed)
4 teaspoons sugar, to taste
A dash of ground cardamom (optional)
METHOD
Put mango, yogurt, milk, sugar and cardamom into a blender and blend for 2 minutes, then pour into individual glasses, and serve. Can sprinkle with a little cardamom.

The lassi can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.

Yield: Makes about 2 cups.

Thanks to Elise Bauer at
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Postby xin jin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi, this is King. For me, the reason why Jamal can win the game is that he is extremely lucky, he can find all answers of the questions from his personal experience.Jamal is one of million poor Indian children. The game is just clue. It pushes Jamal to recall his past, his life experience, and Jamal's experience is the most important part of the film, and it is something that the director really wants to show people.This film is different from a typical Hollwood movis because it is more like literary film. Usually Hollywood movies prefer make people feel funny and entertain people rather than make people think deeply.

Hey King-- This is maybe your best post ever and the first one for Slumdog Millionaire. As one slumdog to another, I just want to say, "keep on writing, partner." Thanks for posting and for being in The Movie Elective with me.

--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D :lol: :D
xin jin

Postby alice03015 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm

hi, this is Alice. At the beginning of the film, the brothers' story and show are exciting. For example, Jamal jumped into urinal in order to see Bollywood star when he was a child. Also, the director's epitasis is very interesting who use the idea of recall. In the story, the director use the game of Millionaire as a cue. Then, it shows why Jamal can win the game because of his experience of past. Moreover, the story connects with his brother and the little girl...By the way, I don't know why Jamal's brother drive away him when they are sleeping together. ;)
alice03015

Postby OMARHHASAN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am

Hi, this is Omar. Sulmdog Millionaire is a movie I saw many times before but every time i watch it it feels like it's the first time. Maybe its because of the great theme of the story or the amazing acting skills of the Actors.
OMARHHASAN

Postby khalidfs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

hi its khalid, i have watched half of slumdog millionare once but when i watched it again in movies class i think its better. slumdog millionare, there is a show called "who wants to be a millionare" where jamal wins alot of money. The reason jamal knows all the answers is because he remembers his past on what happend a long time ago with his brother salim and a girl name latika. Jamal is in love with latika, but when the three of them run away latika didnt make it with Jamal and his brother so Jamal went back to find her. On the show, prem and the police think that Jamal was cheating when he answerd the questons on slumdog millionare but he wasnt cheating.

Hi Khalid-- Thanks for all your fun posts. I really enjoyed having you in the movie elective. Best of luck in the future.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
khalidfs

Postby Faris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

It's said the best for last and I believe this movie was the best movie we saw as a group.For me guys,I saw it four times including this one :D .
But this time was different because I've always watched it with my family I felt sad and emotional because I miss my family.
I love the idea of this movie because the secret to unlock the answers was just from his life experiences.
Yes that's right folks it was as simple as that to be a millionaire.
Meanwhile; Prem the host of the show did not believe that a slumdog could have much information
Prem tried to give Jamal a wrong answer but Jamal did not fall for it and then Prem asked the officer to investigate about it .
Also I loved the way when we started to know how he did it. they did not say it but show us how.

Hey Faris-- I'm so glad you enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire. I have never heard someone express how they could feel homesick by watching a film that they usually watch with their whole family back home, so far away. That is one beautiful sentiment, my friend. Perhaps, watching the movie here can at least bring your family into your dreams. All the best, and thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Faris

Postby cemozbek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi, this is Cem. When I was firstly watched the movie I was shocked. Actually, I didn't watch it on theatre because of its name I thought that it wasn't so special. Then, I watched it in my home as DVD and it was really awesome because the plot was different thant the other movies. Everone knows that Hollywood movies has the same plot like one good and bad guy, a girl and the happy ending at the and of battle or a war. On the other hand, this movie is really different from the other ones. This movie starts with two brothers which names are Salim and Jamal. Each one has an opposite characteristics, Jamal is good one. He has been living his life in a very harsh conditions since his childhood. Eventhough, he chose to be a honest person and he is earning his money with elbow grease. In my opinion he is not only a simple hearthed person but also he is harmless. He has never thought about hurting someone else. Eventually, he deserved to be happy and he also did it with earning 20 M ruppies, finding his biggest love and beating his enemy.

Thanks Cem for a really satisfying presentation of your relationship with Slumdog Millionaire. I especially like how you use the expression, "elbow grease." This expression means hard and dirty work. All the best to you and all my amazing students from this ESL whole-movie elective class at UCLA Extension.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :x
cemozbek

Postby vathanya » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Hello Mike, this is Thanya:)
This is my second time watching SLUMDOG MILIONAIRE but I got more details than the first time! In my opinion, Jamal and Salim are a great example of the majority in India: poor and pity but very ambitious. Even though Jamal and Salim are siblings, but they are very different. Salim is obsessed with power, fame and money. Unlike Jamal who has a very kind-minded and honest. Salim try to do everything to get rich but Jamal can do anything to find his lover, Latika. Finally, Jamal met Latika and it seems that he has both things that Salim want are money and woman.

Hey Thanya-- So glad to have you in the Movie Elective. I think in this post you describe a general condition of life pretty well. India, of course, is having big economic improvements, which is very cool. For me, movies like Slumdog Millionaire, Life of Pi, and The Namesake have helped me understand, appreciate, and respect Indian life better than before. I'm happy to embrace our brothers and sisters from the great subcontinent.
Thanks and I will miss you. --mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
vathanya

Postby TheCoolest7 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Hey mike, this is Tarek aka Tom
The SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE movie was an interesting movie because it is mix of Hollywood types of movie and Bollywood this movie talks about a very poor kid that lived a very bad chilled hood and like a typical Hollywood story he feel in love with a poor girl that he meet in his childhood and when they were spirited he looked for her until he found here after many years. The movie also talks about how his experience in his childhood helped him to answer the questions in the famous TV program who wants to be a millioner :shock:

Hey Tarek aka Tom-- Thank you so much for being in the Movie Elective. I am super-grateful for your presence. I'm sure it is necessary that your focus is on other things too, but you were gracious enough to share a large amount of your spirit with our class. You made an awesome speech at today's graduation. Wishing you all the best. Please keep in touch.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D :D :D :D :D :D
TheCoolest7

Return to Movie Reports