[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ERIN BROCKOVICH

ERIN BROCKOVICH

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

ERIN BROCKOVICH

Postby maikuu » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 am

Thank you --Mike :arrow:WWW.mOVIESgROWeNGLISH.COM :mrgreen: :ugeek: :lol: :roll:
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: Erin Brockovich

Postby aaadefender » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 am

Yongsung Hong (Alex).

Common Sense

I will describe Erin Brokovich's character according to her advantages and disadvantages.

First of all, she has a good personality with really good worldly wisdom. For example, when her boss and she have a meeting with their client, she charms her boss by using her street smarts. Also, she has good communication skills and passion of her work. She really loves her children, she's hard working, and she's righteous. She truly wants to help other people.

As for disadvantages, she does not have any special skills or training. For example, she does not know computers, and she does not have a college degree which might help her get a job. Also, she has an aggressive personality. She tends to be hot-tempered and foul-mouthed.

Taken as one, Erin Brockovich seems like a strong and righteous person. I think she is a person of common sense.

Thank you for reading. Have a nice weekend.
aaadefender

Erin Brockovich

Postby tomomi kosumi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:23 am

I will describe Erin. My first impression of her in the movie is that she is a poor rude lady, but 45 minutes into the movie, I understand her personality because now I like her :lol:

When I was 20, I had courage, I was brave, pure and hard working, but at the same time I was filled with loneliness.

Erin is a very nice woman. She takes care of her kids. Maybe they understand that she is busy. She works hard at everything. This is why I like her character very much. But I think some people don't appreciate her because of her dirty mouth lol In my opinion if she didn't say bad things, this movie might be boring.

Thank you :D
tomomi kosumi

Postby Hsing-Ying,Lee » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello, Mike

In my opinion, Erin Brockovich is a down-on-her-luck woman. She is in dire financial straits after getting into a car accident. But she still has to pay bills and feed three children. Fortunately, she meets Ed Masry who reluctantly gives her a job at his law firm. She possesses a persistence and desire to seek justice for the people of Hinkley, who are in a battle with PG & E.

Finally, as a single mother, Erin experiences how it is increasingly difficult to balance the demands of her work and her family. I hope I can be brave enough to do what I feel to be right just like Erin. She is a good mother and a hard-working person. I like this movie because I learned how to be brave enough to do what I want to do and to never give up.

Thank you. :)
Hsing-Ying,Lee

Postby Jongho » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi, Mike :)

Erin is very straightforward and even offensive woman. I think her environment
Jongho

Postby Angel3575 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Desiree Lenz

Erin Brockovich has both good and bad qualities. On the good side, even though she has no job skills, she does everything she can to get a better life for her children. She's determined to get what she wants, and doesn't give up in life. She thinks about other people before herself. She tries to help people and families who are sick because she's had a hard life herself. Because she's also a parent, she is able to understand the problems of families. Erin motivates people when they see how hard working she is. Even though she doesn't receive health benefits from her job, she visits families with cancer on her own time. After she becomes busy with her new job, she still makes time for her kids, even if they don't appreciate how hard she works.

But Erin has bad characteristics too. She tends to shout in public and speak before thinking. She becomes angry when she doesn't get what she thinks she deserves. At first she takes her boyfriend for granted so he can take care of the kids. When she finally apologizes for her mistake, it's too late. He leaves her. Instead of using her brain to get what she wants, she uses her body. In the end it is all about her family.
Angel3575

Postby ryan kwag » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:54 am

HI, Mike I'm Ryan

Your daughter was so cute. Please come with her anytime if it is possible. :P

Erin has some good and bad characteristics. On the good side in my opinion, she is a strong hearted woman, for a single mom with three kids, twice divorced and with no job. Erin is quite a nice mother so she does everything to foster her three children. She is wise when she gets a job as assistant to Ed Masry. She lies to other employees that she is a new worker, and when Ed Masry comes, she says," don't make me beg, just fire me if you don't like me." So she gets hired without any benefits. She is also a hardworking woman, willing to visit sick people in Hinkley as she fights against the big utility company, PG&E. I have no doubt that she is empathetic because she is sad when she meets persons who are ill.

On the other hand, she has weak characteristics too, like speaking roughly, and having an obstinate personality. She even uses vulgarity in court. She also doesn't listen to her boss, but instead does what she believes. Another weak trait is selfishness. She works with passion enthusiasm to the point that she doesn't share her successes with other persons who wants to help. Finally, after she gets the job as assistant to Ed Masry, she is unable to be be a good mother because she works so hard. Thus there is not much time for her to spend with her kids. This makes her children miss her.

These were what I noticed about Erin's character.
ryan kwag

Postby ahrampark » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 pm

A divorcee named Erin Brockovich has 3 children. Although she is assertive in everything, she can also be easygoing. She seems to be honest about her feelings, so whenever she sees injustice, she speaks out against it. In Ed Masry's company, when she learns about a strange incident which has occurred near the PG&E factory, she willingly investigates the incident. She demands compensation from PG&E for damages.

When it comes to being angry, she often abuses others. But I think that she has a soft heart, contrary to her tough appearance. I want to applaud her for her determination and courage to fight for the others.
ahrampark

Postby Amy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:44 pm

This is Amy from IEP 2. :)

At first, I thought Erin Brockovich might be a typical type of woman who has lived a tough life with 3 children. However, as the movie progresses, I realize that she's not that type of woman at all. She may have been before, but she is definately not typical by the end of the story. She has a brave personality. She does not give up on her new-found project which is right, but is threaten by a major public utility.

Moreover, I would like to say she is not only brave but also stubborn. I think she knows the job might be her last chance to make something of her life, so she doesn't want to share her project with anyone even thought they can help her. For example, she doesn't want to share her work with Kurt Potter even though he wants to help the case against PG&E.

But I can totally understand Erin because it must not be easy for her to share her hard work with someone who comes in late in the game. In the process, her straight and aggressive personality helps her to move on. Yet, I think sometimes she's impulsive and emotional. She tends to talk with emotion when she becomes angry. I think she needs to control her impulsive speech and behavior, but overall she's a good woman and mom.
Amy

Postby Shihuang Wu » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Shihuang Wu

Erin is a super women! Outside when she works or does any other thing, she is very strong! Maybe she always says many bad words! But at home she is a very nice mother of 3 kids and no job! She has no money after getting into a car accident! Everything looks so bad for her future! Yet she never gives up! She is a just women who dares to challenge PG&E in a lawsuit!
Shihuang Wu

Next

Return to Movie Reports