ERIN BROCKOVICH

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: Erin Brockovich

Postby anneyano » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 am

I must say that Erin Brockovich really has a potty mouth; she's an appropriate dresser, and an unemployed single mother. These might not be attractive aspects for most of people, and some people might say that these are her negative characteristics. At least for me, these are not weaknesses, not even close. These are her most unique traits, and I love them.

I think that her problem is her emotional attitude. She's lost so many things because of it. For example, she failed her job interviews, and even at the court she loses. She can't help herself from yelling and can't control herself. These are her main weaknesses.

On the other hand, her strong will faith are her most epic strengths. When she has to choose between her job and the stupid boyfriend (well... he is sweet but still...), she makes the right choice. She always knows what she has to do because she believes in herself.

BTW
"Bite my ass, krispy kreme."
"Two wrong feet in fucking ugly shoes."
"I just went out there and performed sexual favors, six hundred and thirty four blow jobs in five days."

These are my favorite. ha-ha.
anneyano

Postby shoko » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:11 am

The movie titled
shoko

Postby Heejung Shin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 am

Hi mike! I
Heejung Shin

Postby Tilun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 am

Hello Mike! This is Tin Lun.

Erin is an extreme person. Her strengths and weaknesses can be very different, but also very familiar. First of all, she is an impolite woman. Her language usually is rude and dirty. In the court scene early in the movie, she still uses words that are not good. This makes her lose her case. She tends to be too impulsive. For example, in the last scene when Ed Masry gave her a bonus check, she assumes he's trying to cheat her and doesn't realize he's playing with her.

However, she is a knowledgable woman too. She can remember all of her clients
Tilun

Postby ingridbdutra » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 am

Erin Brockovich is a strong and courageous woman with 3 kids of different ages and 2 divorces. She doesn't think twice before doing something because she is a very reactionary, intense, and honest person. Her experience has taught her to fight for herself and not wait for somebody else to rescue her.

She was hurt by previous relationships which gives her a suspicious mind. She is hard working, smart, resourceful and a very good mother. Although she speaks a lot of dirty words, it is not a big deal if you think about how much time a young single mother has for study or if you consider her social status.

I really admire this character! Erin Brockovich is the kind of person that I would like to have in my friendship group; honest, intense and full of life experience.

Ingrid B Dutra
ingridbdutra

Postby omar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 am

First of all, I really like the character of ERIN BROCKOVICH. She is capable and courageous. I remind you that she is with three kids and without a job, but she is determined to make money so she can provide a beautiful life for her family. Erin works as an assistant to a lawyer, and moreover she has never done this job before. She gets involved in a legal affair where she is confused because she doesn't really know if she will win this lawsuit.

If she can win, it will be because she is a hard-working and flexible person. Her life is not easy because she tries to give a good education to her children and work hard at the same time. She has transformed a small company into one of the biggest firms in the city. Erin has a complex character. From one side, she is too emotional, patient, and has empathy for people; she can feel what the others feel. From another side, she can be brutal and uses bad words. And, at the top of the top, she is pretty charming.
omar

Postby Kamil » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Steven Soderbergh is an eclectic director. He never goes in the same direction in all of his movies.

In this one, Erin Brokovich, he could have signed on to an easy movie like most directors would do and suffocated us with good feelings, but no. Instead, he skips the scene that everybody was attending, no trial. Instead of focusing on the judicial aspect of the story, he spends all the movie drawing out the character points of Erin Brokovich because she is what the movie is about.

We completely forgot about the tragedy caused by the company, or the people who have been suffering from it. All our focus remains on Erin. What is she going to do? How will she react?

And the point of this movie is to teach us a lesson. We can all be Erin Brockovich. One person can change the way things usually go. If that person is capable, strong in her head, and she's got a lot of willpower, she can change the world. But the movie also teaches us something about respect. It's a good thing to be spontaneous and ambitious when you have a goal, but you must not forget the people around you.
Kamil

Postby Grandpa Chiken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 am

Hi. This is Kun Song.

Erin Brockovich is a strong women. She cares about what people (men) think about her because she has been married 2 times, so she tries to push men back when they want to get close to her. She has 3 kids. They make her work hard to get money.

But she also has her own dream. She wants to show people that she can do better. She is smart, kind, lucky and open. I like it when she speaks dirty words. It makes her seem stronger. She is able to make hard thing seem easy after she talks.
Grandpa Chiken

Postby brhnysa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am

hi mike this is burhan

A divorcee named Erin Brockovich has 3 children. Although she is assertive in everything, she can also be easygoing. She seems to be honest about her feelings, so whenever she sees injustice, she speaks out against it. In Ed Masrey's company, when she learns about a strange incident which has occurred near the PG&E factory, she willingly investigates the incident. She demands compensation from PG&E for damages.

When it comes to being angry, she often abuses others. But I think that she has a soft heart, contrary to her tough appearance. I want to applaud her for her determination and courage to fight for the others.
brhnysa

Postby STACEY KANG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Wonjin Kang

Erin Brockovich, for which Julia Roberts was given an Academy Award, is one of the most famous movies in the U.S. and although it seemed to be fiction, surprisingly, the story is based on reality. Erin is a lady who has lost all of her property, has been divorced twice and now has three children. It sounds like she has a hard life, but she finds more and more good life by taking advantage of her opportunity.

It is a great movie that everyone has to see one day. The movie can make us believe that sometimes there is a miracle in our life. After I watched it, I had an energy, and also, I could concentrate on the movie very well because my favorite actress Julia Roberts appeared! Personally, I love her as an actress, and I think the role of Brockovich who is a bad tempered girl matches with Julia Roberts very well. It is perfect casting.

In the movie, Erin Brockovich is such a pretty lady working very hard, and she has responsibility on her work. Also, she has a lot of patience about her work; she never knows when to give up.

Finally, she wins in not only the judgement, but also her life. Those are her character's good things.

On the other hand, she is not good at taking care of her children, and she doesn't always speak softly, so she doesn't get along with her fellow workers. That is her bad trait. After I watched Erin Brockovich, I decided I would see all of the movies that Julia Roberts appears in if possible. She touched my heart. Sometimes, bad things can change to good things in our life. I won't forget that, and this movie will often remind me of it.
STACEY KANG

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports