[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - NEW MOVIE REPORTS * * * * * *

NEW MOVIE REPORTS * * * * * *

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

NEW MOVIE REPORTS * * * * * *

Postby maikuu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:06 am

Because this is the 86th Academy Awards (Oscars) season, many of the winning and nominated films are currently showing in a theater near you. Here are the nominations and winner for BEST PICTURE. How many have you seen? (I've seen four.) Which is your favorite? (Mine is &^%$#@ . . .)

BEST PICTURE

American Hustle
Charles Roven, Richard Suckle, Megan Ellison, and Jonathan Gordon, Producers

Captain Phillips
Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti and Michael De Luca, Producers

Dallas Buyers Club
Robbie Brenner and Rachel Winter, Producers

Gravity
Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman, Producers

Her
Megan Ellison, Spike Jonze and Vincent Landay, Producers

Nebraska
Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa, Producers

Philomena
Gabrielle Tana, Steve Coogan and Tracey Seaward, Producers

12 Years a Slave (winner!!)
Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen and Anthony Katagas, Producers

The Wolf of Wall Street
Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joey McFarland and Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Producers
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: NEW MOVIE REPORTS

Postby Abdulkader » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 am

In general the 'Son of God" movie talks about Jesus life from the day he [was] born. It marks the first motion picture about Jesus life. It shows who follows him and believes on him who is not and what miracles Jesus have [performed]. Then the movie shows what problems they faced in their journey until Jesus faced the king of the romans...

From my point of view I notice that the movie is based on a series of “The Bible” that the film has the major advantage of not being a religious film with any controversy surrounding it that gives the movie a successful point, and I think there will be some believers will find it inspiring. However, Son of God is too difficult to create a movie about related to a religious and history factors. In addition I felt the movie was too long, which makes it little bit boring; the movie was almost 2:20 min! Overall when you heard "Son Of God" movie you will expect more than that, but it's not that bad after all.

Teacher's Note: This seems like an inspired choice of a film to both present and watch. I like how the author provides a detailed opinion of what he both pros and cons of the film. Stylistically speaking, I notice an appropriate use of transition words such as "however". Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:
SonofGod.jpg
SonofGod.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Abdulkader

Postby aidaSult » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 am

The film is about The Battle of Stalingrad during World War II. It is among the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare. The beginning of the film shows the Russian Emergencies Ministry's participation in aftermath of the earthquake in Japan. One of the rescuers - the son of Katie, [is] the heroine of the film. The action takes place in November 1942 in Stalingrad than were captured by the German army. At the same time civilian population lived in the city. The Soviet army tried to attack the German army and to liberate the city from Nazi army, but they failed. However, a few soviet solders were able to occupy the half-ruined building with strategic appointment, where they met with Katie, who lived here. Young woman named Masha lived in the opposite. She was like a dead wife German capitain Peter Kahn. This movie is not only about the battle, but also about love stories. At the end, the Soviet solders sacrificed themselves for the sake of the Homeland and Katie.

This movie shows us that we have to remember about heroes, consequences of the war and disasters. The film has a good sides and bad sides too. I liked the acting, plot and scenery. The film was affected its mass and grandiosity. In addition, the movie is quite emotional. However, the film was shot in dark tones.

Teacher's Note: This sounds like an amazing film, international in its vision. I'm reminded of "Enemy at the Gate" another Stalingrad movie (starring Jude law and Ed Harris). I suggest the author not say too much about the ending. Keep us in suspense. I like how the opinion comments on specific details. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.movieshrowenglish.com :twisted:

Stalingrad.jpg
Stalingrad.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
aidaSult

Postby mo55er » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Frozen
The film is about two sisters form royal family of Irendell, Elsa and Anna. Elsa has a magical power; she is capable to make [of making] snow and ice. When they are young Elsa mistakenly froze [freezes] Anna, so her parent seeks for help from trolls to remove the magic. After that they give her protective gloves to control her power and avoid hurting others .Years later Elsa become the queen of Irendell .during coronation party Anna meet price Hans and they decide to get married immediately. For this reason, Princess Elsa get[s] angry and loss [loses] her control, froze the entire Irendell, run to the top of the mountain and build a castle of crystals and little snow man Olaf .Anna decide to search for Elsa and return her back to Irendell and bring back summer again .during that she met kristoff and ask him to take her to north mountain where the princess is there. Elsa froze Anna’s heart, kristoff take Anna to trolls and they confess that she become frozen for ever unless there is” act of true love”.

It’s an amazing movie, more than what I expect. It represents the family strong relationship despite the circumstances. Also has lovely songs especially” let it go”.

Teacher's Note: When setting up a film for those who haven't seen it, I recommend that the author focus on the setting, background, and unresolved conflict. In this case, the people in Irendell need to remove the eternal winter, and Elsa needs to "find true love" if I remember correctly. I would avoid narrating the story too much. As it is, the author does a wonderful job of visualizing the the beginnings of the story in a movie that won two Academy Awards in 2014: Best feature-length Animation, and best song "Let it Grow." Big thanks for a cool (pun?) post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:

Frozen.jpg
Frozen.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
mo55er

Postby wangziqian » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Robocop

The main actor, Alex Murphy, was a policeman. At first, he had a happy family. But one thing changed his life. He saw his coworker had illegal trade with other people. This coworker wanted to kill him. He put a bomb under Alex's car and the bomb exploded. Alex was badly injured. He lost his arms and legs. Raymond is [was] the boss of a robot company. Because of the disadvantage of the robot, American people wanna [wanted] his company stop making this kind of machine. Raymond wanted to put a real man inside the machine. So he found Alex and wanted to make him become a robocop.

In my personal opinion, the biggest essential difference between human being and machine is emotion. Robots do anything is just based on the system and data. Human beings do everything can be controlled by their emotion. So we should not do something that illegal or can hurt other person. Because we are human beings, not machines.

Teacher's note: IMHO an awesome setup of the new Robocop. I would recommend to end the setup with a question such as : "But how will Alex fit into his job now that he has the power of a robocop?" Leaving us with a question, makes us want to find the answer (see the movie). There is a clear and concise opinion as well, but what is this author's opinion of the movie itself? Just asking. Thanks for a great post.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com ;)

Robocop.jpg
Robocop.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
wangziqian

Postby HashimSH95 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

I saw the movie Robocop. A man named Alex was [is] framed. He has a normal life at first, he is a cop, has a kid and a wife. One day some guys set up a bomb on his car, when h approaches it, it explodes. Alex is then turned into a half machine half human (Robocop). Then the story continues from there where Alex wants to put the guy responsible for trying to murder him behind bars.

I personally do not recommend to see it, rather i [I] recommend seeing the original Robocop. The very first one. This one was too boring (for me) and i did not like the actor playing as Alex. Watch the first one. It is better. :D :D

Teacher's note: I love how this author has a very direct opinion about the new Robocop vs. the original (1987 starring Peter Weller?). I wonder how many other viewers share this opinion. The setup is also well done. It doesn't tell us too much, but it sure gets us interested in this film (or maybe the original). Great piece of writing.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
HashimSH95

Postby Abdulsalam » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:38 pm

The movie that I watched is Gravity. It is a British American 3D thriller and space drama film. The running time is one hour and half. The director is Alfonso Cuarón. The stars are Sandra Bullock [who] plays Dr. Ryan Stone and George Clooney [who] plays Matt Kowalski. The story is about Dr. Ryan Stone, a medical engineer on her first shuttle mission with Matt Kowalski, a veteran astronaut on his final expedition. Matt Kowalski with his team from four persons are exposed by a strong storm and it damages their shuttle. so, they are in the space without a shuttle takes them back to the earth, without a connection between them and the earth station, and without enough oxygen. What will they do?, what the way will they take?, will anyone die?, who will survive?, and who won't?. Matt Kowalski determines to fly to the near space station called (ISS) International Space Station. Will they succeed?

My opinion, I like the movie and I want to watch it again. It was great. There are many things made the movie great. One of them is the design of the movie. It was a professional 3D movie. But there are two things was good but not great. First, all the scenes was in the space and they aren't any scenes from the earth. I mean from the earth station. the connection was just by the voice. The second thing, the final of the movie wasn't a great. If the movie gave some more details in the end, it will be great for me. In general the movie was great movie.

Teacher's note: Both the setup and opinion for Gravity are well organized and clear. Nice writing, author. The setup asks some intriguing questions that beg us to see the film. I've already seen it, so I would ask the same questions. The opinion, states pros and cons, and it makes sense. IMHO the fact that there was very little Earthbound action in Gravity did not bother me. I was happy to float around in space for ninety minutes. Thanks for a great post!

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:

Gravity.jpg
Gravity.jpg (101.88 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Abdulsalam

Postby mohammed00j » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Endless Love
The story of poor guy and rich girl Graduation from same high school. He like[s] her and she like[s] him but they never talk because she Shy and shy never gave chance to any one to talk to her. In the ceremony he went to talk to her but his friend stopped hem and said " do NOT tray she is very rich, her family will think that you use her". In the summer he was working in a restaurant as a valet. suddenly she came with her parents and she met him in the front of the restaurant. they had a small conversation and she invited hem to her party. Her came and he tall her that he like her and she told hem that she like hem. the love story started in this party but her parents did not like hem because after she knew him she started braking her parents rules. So her parents were trying to ruined the relationship.

A lot of people say Hollywood has been running out of ideas for years,Love lost and love found are some of the most rewarding narratives we have ever seen on the big screen. In my opinion, the movie was not distinguished but it was good. when you see any romantic movie you would not expect a depth movie.

Teacher's note: This post is well organized, but there are some serious GPS issues (especially G). As an ESL teacher, it is my duty :roll: to inform of this fact. The content of the setup is on the money. I have not seen the film, but based on the setup, I can picture how the story might develop, and I like it. The opinion is also on target. It is extremely difficult for Hollywood to come up with a new concept in romance. The 2013 film "Her" about a guy who falls for the voice of an electronic device is a good example. Haven't seen it yet, but I don't think I'll be falling in love with Siri any time soon. Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :|

EndLuv.jpg
EndLuv.jpg (97.41 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
mohammed00j

Postby Melody » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 pm

Blue Jasmine

This is a very good movies. This movies is talk [movie talks] about, Jasmine's husband Hal was put into jail, because of commercial fraud. Unfortunately, her husband killed himself in jail. Jasmine lost everything she has [had] before. She went to SF to ask her sister for help. Jasmine has a lot of money before,but now she was very poor. She couldn't accept this situation, so she got the nervous breakdown. She alway talked to herself, and couldn't get into new life. Therefore, she didn't like her sister ex-husband, and hate Ginger boyfriend Chill too. She was very difficult to get together with other. Jasmines found a job in the dentist, and she also study at school. However, her life still mass. At last,she met a man who was work in the government. But can she change her life?

I want everyone to see it, and tell me the result. In my views, we have to create everything by ourselves, and don't depend on others.:P :P :D :D

Teacher's note: I would like this author to pay careful attention to G (GPS) especially because this is a terrific, clearly written, piece of writing! Based on this setup, it appears that Woody Allen has come up with another fine work of story telling. Yes, I do want to see Blue Jasmine, and congrats to Cate Blanchett for best actress. Well deserved. The author's opinion is brief but concise. I like it!

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o

BluJaz.jpg
BluJaz.jpg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Melody

Postby JAYOZ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:12 am

<12 years a slave>

This is a movie which introduce[s] a[n] America history that expose[s] the long-term racial discrimination. The movie [is] adapted from a real story. The protagonist who was a freeman before has experienced a slavish life for 12 years. It can let you feel it like a real story, not only the videos show a lot of racial abuse between the white people and African-American(this is a reason why that movies limit the age of audience), but also can analysis the selfish of humanity from some details. On the other hand, the protagonist (Solomon) never give [s] up fighting for his freedom and dignity.

This is a pretty good movie, whatever from the quality of picture and tone, or the state of the actors. And it has a luxurious casting(Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Benedict Cumberbatch ), but The 86th Academy Award for best Acting was [did] not belong them. Lupita Nyong's, who act Patsey, finally got Academy Award for Best Actress. <12 years a slave> also got The 86th Academy Award for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay at the same time.

Teacher's note: Only a "pretty good movie," he says. I want to meet this critic. :D A great effort at setting up the story of a great American (true) tragedy. This author is on his way to become a great writer and critic if only he focus more on grammar (especially time frame expressed with verb tense). I'm so glad this film was made and did well at the box office. Chiwetel Ejiofor is one of my favorite (not well-known) actors. I especially loved his performance in Serenity, where he plays a super-cool bad guy who works for the system in the future. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:

12Yrslave.jpg
12Yrslave.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
JAYOZ

Next

Return to Movie Reports