[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - DONNIE BRASCO

DONNIE BRASCO

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

DONNIE BRASCO

Postby maikuu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:50 pm

:roll: :lol: :lol: 8-) :mrgreen: :oops: :roll: :geek: :roll: :ugeek:

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 6.49.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 6.49.28 PM.png (257.19 KiB) Viewed 4167 times

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: Donnie Brasco (Mike)

Postby Lojain » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:25 am

They are different characters as the internship movie.
Also, it has a lot ofchallenges also. That what I noticed about the similarities Bremen these two movies

Teacher's note: Thanks for posting. A little hard to understand.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Lojain

Postby Muka » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:09 pm

I liked this film because it is one of my favorite genres (gangster movie). In the movie I did not see a lot of actions, fights and gun shots as I expected, yet movie itself is interesting. When you watch these kinds of movies you really go into it and start to predict what is going next. Also the language that they used in the movie is kind of ambiguous for English learners like me. I guess they use that kind of language usually in the gangster environment. I want to point out one expression from the movie that I liked most "Forget about it". Whenever they used this expression in the movie, it made me laugh. The bad thing about this movie is that they use a lot of bad words like "F...". I think it is good sometimes to know these kinds of bad words.

Donnie Brasco is a good actor. He camouflaged himself throughout the film. I did not like his personality when he lost himself as an agent. It seemed to me like he transformed into mafia and he liked it. He did not even talk much to his wife. His daughters hated him because he does not usually be [was not usually] at home. As a result of all these things, he did not get respectful and appropriate response from his coworkers and family.

Teacher's note: A very impressive report, several notable points. The gangster-speak is a bit repetitive sometimes and ambiguous, but I think realistic, using the dialog from the book that the movie is based on. Having just seen A Million Ways to Die in the West, I notice a big difference in how the two movies use the F word. Donnie Brasco is pretty realistic while West is redonculous.

About Depp. Main characters are supposed to be admirable or likable in some way (first rule of film making). I found Depp's portrayal of Pistone quite admirable, yet you are correct. He was unkind to his wife, and he transformed into an animal, yet why did I still admire him? It takes a great actor to pull this off. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :idea:
Muka

Postby Elvira » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:26 pm

The Internship and Donnie Brasco are both "buddy" movies. They're similar because main characters try to help and stand [up] for each other. For example, in The Internship, when Bill left Google, Nick encouraged and brought him back. Similarly, Donnie tried to save Lefty and buy a boat to give him [a way to] escape. These films show that true men friendship exists. :roll:

Teacher's note: To me, this author is off to a great start on a comparison of two very different buddy movies (The Internship, and Donny Brasco). I would love this author to revisit this post and drill down a little deeper, offer a bit more detail about character motivations and examples of how the relationships evolve as a result of circumstance. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
Elvira

Postby Faisal0300 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:33 pm

The two movies are similar in the term of the meaning of the true friendship. In the internship, we saw how Nick and Bill encouraged and helped each other to get their success. Similarly, we saw how Donnie tried to save Lefty's life and their relationship even though his job was to send Lefty to the prison.

Teacher's note: "True friendship" is a good way to describe the thesis of similarity between the two movies. I would like to read more detail from this writer because this post is off to a great start. thanks for posting.

--Mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
Faisal0300

Postby syctiffany » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:52 pm

The first time I saw Al Pacino is in The Godfather. Every time I saw gangster movie, I always think about him. In The Godfather, although he became a cruel, closed and lonely man in his mid-life, he was still ambitious. But Lefty, he played in Donnie Brasco, although he is eager to succeed and work really hard. There's more like a man who is down cannot lift up again.

Lefty is like a normal old neighbor in our life. In Donnie's opinion, he is keen on gaining petty advantages but love his friends and family. But in Lefty's own mind, he thinks he is an old man who never accomplishes anything, always wish can have money to gone away with his family.

The most impressed part to me is when Lefty is going out in the end of the movie, he said to his wife " If it was gonna be anyone, I'm glad it was him." Donnie Brasco, which brushes aside traditional gangster movies and gives us another thought: social reality and friendship.

Teacher's note: Yes, Lefty has remorse for not making it to the top in his "profession". Sonny Black makes it to the top, but what does he do to get there? He kills his boss. So does this make Lefty a loser because he doesn't become a Mafia boss? Or is Lefty lucky for saving his humanity? Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
syctiffany

Postby Abdulsalam » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Donnie Brasco is a professional FBI agent. That was shown when he did his work well without any mistakes and nobody knowed about him. He is smart and know how can make a relationship with anyone in the gang. On the other hand, I think he has a problem in his relationship with his wife and children. He couldn't deal well with his family.
Abdulsalam

Postby maggie10_27 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:48 pm

My favorite sentences in this movie are “ I am not becoming like them, I am them” and “ If it was gonna be everyone, I am glad it was him.” These short two sentences reveal the real firm friendship of Donnie and Left vividly. It’s touching and terrific. Sometimes a wonderful friendship is not based on the superficial relationship such as have fun together, but depends on how you support each other in the mental part. Donnie and Left did actually. However, I am still surprised that Donnie chose to neglect his family, betrayed his job duties and rules because this movie is a true story. Donnie faced his own feeling without an escape. But, in the final, I feel that the ridiculous thing is that being an undercover agent becomes a mistake in his life. The ‘ Department of Justice” engraved on the badge and the check of 500 dollars seem as a satire to Donnie. This is a good movie to make people think about the right and wrong.
maggie10_27

Postby Parksukchom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:49 pm

The Internship and Donnie Brasco are the buddy movie. They want to explain [to] you about friend[ship]. They always help each other. Although, they argue to each other, in the final scene Lefty helps Joe from chasing. I think Joe Pistone is danger because they worked for FBI. Also, he had skill for avoid from someone. If he use this skill in the other way, he might be the most dangerous in this movie.
If you like movie about friend or mafia, this movie is a good choice for you. :D

Teacher's note: I must advise this author to focus on syntax. This includes consistent time frame, word form, and general grammar. I think there is a good start on formulating a compelling thesis here. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Parksukchom

Postby oljas » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Its Donnie, a friend of mine
FBI agent Joseph Pistone (Johnny Depp) is assigned to infiltrate the New York Mafia family . According to legend, Donnie Brasco is a trader of stolen jewels. Starting to communicate with Mafia members, Donnie behaves like them and they begin to take him into their trusted circle. Donnie becomes a friend with "Lefty" (Al Pacino). Lefty is not young, not in important position in the Mafia. By the surety of Lefty, Donnie learns about all the things happening in the family and he provides invaluable information to the FBI, but Joe himself begins to have serious personal problems.

Al Pacino was able to create a new image that is different from Michael Corleone and Tony Montana. His Lefty is an old ordinary gangster, who achieved nothing in life but can tell Donnie a lot of useful info about Mafia.

Johnny Depp is perfectly portrayed a FBI agent who begins to get sucked into in mafia affairs. This is clearly evident in the scenes with his wife: if at first when Joe comes home to see her, and she sees her husband Joe, then eventually she horrifies to notice that her husband doesn't come as Joe Pistone but gangster Donnie Brasco, for whom their home turned into a shelter.

More about this film : director Mike Newell showed completely different mafia. If the "Godfather" Mafia - is a powerful criminal corporation, in this film the Mafia - is petty criminal gang engaged in racketeering, blackmail and extortion. This group is a link in the chain of crime world, so even the leader of the Brooklyn district, Sunny Black (it is well played by Michael Madsen) is concerned only with great "knocking out" money, otherwise if it is not shared top Mafia leaders, he would be killed.

Scenario is interesting because it is based on real events. But there is nothing original. It is a typical "undercover cop" movie.
This movie is worth seeing once again to make sure why the names of Johnny Depp and Al Pacino everyone is talking about. Otherwise, Forget about it! 8-)

Teacher's note: Thanks for a thorough report on Donny Brasco. This gangster flick steps away from the romanticized notion of family, idealized in the Godfather trilogy, but instead shows these guys as a bunch of thugs with a profound lack of imagination. I think this author hits the nail on the head. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
oljas

Next

Return to Movie Reports