TROPIC THUNDER

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: TROPIC THUNDER

Postby Heidi Yin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Tropic Thunder, this film is fantastic. It is an very easy film for everyone to enjoy. I must say i was very surprised when i get to know that Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. were actually the two casts of this film. How many people are unable to recognize Tom Cruise in this film with his fat suit, over-sized fake hands. After watching this film, i don’t want to think of the images of charming-look Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible never never again! :!:

Every actor did a marvelous job, my favorite character still has to be the rapper, Alpa Chino, played by Brandon T. Jackson. He was playing an important role in this film. The ‘rapper’ way when he talks and the ‘rapper’ body language when he acts are made me laugh so much.

There are two moments in Tropic Thunder that i think is the funniest scene. First one is at the moment, when Speedman told his team that he can not forget about his little son, and want to stay with the people of the village. However, right after this moment, his little son was stabbing Speedman’s back with a vicious face, and Speedman threw the boy out of the bridge without any choice.

The second moment, of course is about Tom Cruise. His role is the most entertaining one since his unforgettable appearance. Who can forget about the moment that Tom Cruise was dancing sexily at the very end of the movie. I think if Cruise is going to film another Mission Impossible, the director should let him dance when he is doing his mission. That will be really cool. :ugeek:
Heidi Yin

Postby xshang » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I always find it difficult to understand the American style comedy. On the one hand, I find it hard to understand due to the cultural difference. On the other hand, I don’t appreciate the dirty words and movements.

At first, I hold the same opinion as I used to be—this is just another meaningless and vulgar movie which tries hard to make people laugh, yet turns out to be not funny at all. Although there are indeed some funny parts, I still think there is no huge difference between this movie and other American style comedy. As the movie going on, I start to find out that the scriptwriter actually gave a lot of thought to the setting and the plot of this film. All these coincidences happened in the movie made the joke naturally happened without affections.

For me, the most interesting part is when Tugg kills a panda. His facial expression is so cute, and it is so interesting when his manager misheard “panda” as” Amanda”. Another thing that I find interesting is the connection between the first scene and the last scene--the acting becomes the reality.

Overall, I think this movie is one of the best among the American comedies. The irony also made people think while laughing. BTW, It kind of ruined Tome Cruise.
xshang

Postby Shirley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 am

Tropical Thunder is a story about struggles of filming a great Vietnam war movie. Several actors, under the impression they’re making a Vietnam war movie, wanders dangerously in the jungle and is captured by a gang of druglords who think the actors are narcs.

My favourite character is Kirk played by Robert Downey. He is not merely funny but also very good and sometimes even subtle as Kirk Lazarus, an Australian actor who has won five Oscars and has surgically dyed his skin to transform himself into a black man. So committed is he to this role that he remains in character at all times, seemingly convinced that he is actually black.
Shirley

Postby Khalil » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am

Tropic Thunder is an Action, Comedy movie. I watched it in 2009 i liked it so much at that time, but when i watched it again couple days ago it seems silly and a little bit boring. I think it deserve 6.5/10.

The movie is about filming an Action movie, on the beginning they couldn't make the scene completely and gone wrong, then the director moved to another place to let the characters feel the story, but it seems too real for some of them. I don't want to ruin the movie for whose didn't see it yet, so. I will describe some of the movie's characters.

Robert Downey Jr. In the role of Kirk Lazarus an African american man, he was living the story way too much until he met Alpa Chino who is real African American. Jack Black played as Jeff Portnoy the fat, Addicted soldier. Ben Stiller In the role of Tugg Speedman, the famous actor and the main star of the movie in the movie. Tom Cruise In the role of Les Grossman, the man who cares about money whatever people die or not, and also dancing, I guess. I hope I wrote something good.
Khalil

Postby kaanmetin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:43 pm

In my opinion, if you want to make the audience question about something, shooting a comedy/action film should be your last option. Since when people are watching a comedy film they don't endeavour to find cross references. They just watch the film and try to enjoy it. Even though Simple Jack has got no any malicious intentions, at first sight he comes across as being offensive.

My favourite character is Jack Black (starring as Jeff Portnoy) by far. After the movie ''School of Rock'', he has become my hero. I've really enjoyed the panda scene too and don't worry I'm not going to talk about animal rights or etc. :D It was pretty good.

Although I still don't understand why American film scene spend millions of dollars to make people laugh, I enjoyed how the film mocks Hollywood filmmaking and celebrity culture. However, spending 92 million $, still contradicts with itself...
kaanmetin

Postby Yerka » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi Mike,

Does Simple Jack make a good point about "special-needs" characterizations in Hollywood, or is this character simply offensive?
For my humble opinion Simple Jack and other movies about these kind of disabled people always look a bit offensive no matter what point directors want to make. The thing is that these people are already have troubles in their lives and it is not good to put them on the screens showing everyone who they are. Of course there are movies intended to call for compassion from viewers but still I don't think they seek for any compassion on the big screens. On the other hand, if that kind of movies call for any actions to help and support these people it will be different. But usually top rated movies do not have such message but just irony and black humor.

Describe your favorite character. What makes this character interesting?
I guess all of them are parodies to bunch of well known Hollywood movies. It is not my genre of movies where directors make fun of other legendary and more popular movies. The point is that directors of those legendary and popular movies did their job very well; therefore, they are famous. It is easy to do the parody to anything but to create some kind of masterpiece or at least just enjoyable movie is not like making parody. Movie has funny moments but I guess people are sick of these jokes. I don't know the correct word but I heard the genre is called "trash-movie" where all actors just having fun making movie. Tarantino makes trash movies and one of the most famous trash movie is "The Expendables" where legendary Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone and many others met and had fun making another freaking out trash movie.

What is the funniest moment in TROPIC THUNDER and why?
Few of the funniest moments were where Tom Cruise plays. For my opinion he did well done in this movie. Other actors played in the same genre as they used to but I saw Tom Cruise in such role play first time. Perhaps he has some more movies, for sure, but he played really funny wit his makeup.

Write a summary/opinion of TROPIC THUNDER.
As I already mentioned I don't like this genre of movies when you are sitting and watching the movie and questioning yourself "why am I watching it?" Completely waste of time and money. This movie is not so funny as it seems to be, and it does not have any reason. Put bunch of famous actors together and had fun. Bold period.
Yerka

Postby Elvira » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:03 pm

The Tropic Thunder is the unique and weird movie. Parts with the trailers were especially hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing. This movie makes fun of Hollywood and how they make movies. At first I thought that it was another stupid comedy, but I realized that it is thoughtful movie. Actors also played very well, and the characters are so different.

I never thought about how Hollywood makes movies; after watching the movie I have known some of their tricks. Overall, I don't like stupid American comedies, but I enjoyed watching the Tropic Thunder.
Elvira

Previous

Return to Movie Reports