EXPENDABLES

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: THE EXPENDABLES

Postby JuniE » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:48 pm

The soldiers are called the expendable because they have secret missions and are ready to go for it at any time. They are like can expend at any time as each of them has special action skills which are very fantastic.

They are hired by a CIA operative with five million dollars. They are asked to kill a man named James Munroe, who grows drugs in the island of Vilena. So they have to come all the way to Vilena to kill the man.

My favorite character in this film is Jet Li. I think he is a man who has a good sense of responsibility and cooperative spirit. Although he is not the very core character in this movie, his showing up surprised me a lot. Firstly, his action scene has a kind of oriental style which echo with me a lot. Second, some of his lines are quite humorous from my perspective. So he makes me laugh sometimes.

I think this is a special action movie as it is a very pure "action" movie. There's few love line or unrelated sentimental plot in this film. What it has is pure action scenes which are full of masculine characters. All the expendables are quite brave and are ready to devote to a fight at any time, without even a little hesitation. They do what they should do or want to do. They are the symbol of typical definitions for males. Besides, the director makes every person vivid, unlike other "hero" movies where there's only one or two heroes for audience to admire - in the expendables, every one is special and brave. If you love pure masculine spirit, you should never miss this movie.
JuniE

Postby kaanmetin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:12 pm

They called ‘’expandables’’ because they are cold-hearted KILLING MACHINES. The do not fear of DEATH, they have no MERCY and they are freakin’ INDESTRUCTIBLE.

CIA hires them to find a drug-lord in Vilena.

I am in love with all of those muscular guys but Jet Li is my favorite. Because he is the fastest and cutest. Also, I love knifes.

Action is my favorite genre. It is not just a genre for me; it’s also a philosophy, a way of life. I become so excited when I see people killing each other and making money with it. Even though I know that they are unreal, just by imagining those scenarios I become tremendously satisfied. However, I don’t consider watching it again.

:(
kaanmetin

Postby xshang » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Those guys in the film share the same personalities. They are not afraid of death, yet they are not reckless but skillful and smart. Although I am not a big fun of action movie, I have to admit all of the male characters are not only handsome, but also in a different way. They are assigned to bring down the evil south american dictator and save the small island. When Barney fell in love with the Sandra, the daughter of the dictator, saving her life become the number one goal of their mission.

Personally, loud gun shot, dark light, noise made my brain stop functioning. i enjoyed the first part of the movie when there are still story going on. When it comes to the end when there was only gun, blood, fight left, I almost felt asleep. But that's just me. For those who loves action, it must be a wonderful movie.

If I have a chance to have a cup tea with, I'll definatly go with Jet Li. He is my more of my type rather than big muscle guy. :)
xshang

Postby Shirley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 pm

These soldiers are called "The Expendables" because they are very bold and powerful. The team of mercenaries are very brave, and they accept the mission no else can do even if the mission could kill their life.

My favorite “tough guy” is Barney Ross. I always admire the feature with leader characteristics. He is tough guy, he does a lot of things for Sandra, even comes back to Vilena to save Sandra. I was astounded by this kind of love because it's deep but it will never have a happy ending...
Shirley

Postby brenda » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:26 pm

The Expendables was a movie based in 9 guys that are not afraid of anything and they have a lot of skills for fighting and for exploring thats why they call them selfs the expendables.

Its a really good movie because it show us the importance of work in team. The movie its about that the mercenaries (the expendables) have to go to vilena an island took by an american soldier whos controling the island by the army because they are in the drog bussiness and they need to have everything under control. So the expendables where hired by a man called Mr. Church and they will be paid 5 million dollars.

My favorite character was chrismas because even he's fighting all the time he always make some time for what he loves, showing us that everything could be possible

For being an action movie it was really good because it have a nice story and really good special effects, but it happens like all action movies the good guys are almost inmortal, they get shoot, jump from 3th floor and they never died but the bad guys with one shoot 10 people its already dead, they have really fast cars, beautiful girls and a lot of luck so for me all action movies are the same thats why i dont like them so much.

Teacher's note: Please see my comments below. Applies to both posts. Thanks for all your great insight. Suggestion for writing: Focus more on GPS.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
brenda

Postby Elvira » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

The expendables is the typical action movie: it mostly contains of shooting and fighting scenes. However, it has some romance too and the girl is beautiful.
All characters have strengths, that's why they cannot be defeated.

My favorite Tough guy is Christmas because he has his own charm and handsome. He also acts like a "real" man. Moreover, I liked Jet lee; he is funny and his fights were really good.

Generally, I would ask for more interesting scenario because it felt that they won without any effort.

Teacher's note: In other words, this is one of those action movies where non of the bad guys can shoot straight, and the good guys can each kill ten bad guys with half a bullet. . . Yup, they might make it look too easy. Thanks for posting. Your comments are always fun and thoughtful.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
Elvira

Previous

Return to Movie Reports