SPIRITED AWAY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: SPIRITED AWAY

Postby Yoni chang » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 pm

1.describe the bathhouse for spirits and its many symbols.
Basically, the bathhouse is for the spirits, not humans, but there are many symbols that represent characteristics of human society and gave us a warning through the symbols. Firstly, when Yubaba gave a job to Chihiro, she erased her name and make it short as Sen. By doing so, i believe that Yubaba owned Chihiro’s spirit and Sen might gradually lost the identity as Chihiro, because Haku said that if someone lost one’s name and forget about it, the identity as a pure human disappears forever, never going back to the real world. Under these rules, the name symbolizes the human nature, as the origin, so it is important to stay pure from the temptations occurring in the bathhouse, because it will make Sen forget her name. Moreover, ‘No-face’ represents the greediness of the humans. No face always tried to provide gold to satisfy Sen, however, Sen overcame the temptation and do the right things. At the last, No face also threw up all the things he ate and returned to the original state, throwing out greediness. In contrast to Sen, the most of the staff at the bathhouse are fully tempted by the gold and money and lose their reason. it stands for the most of the people who are stained and foolish.

2. why does Haku help Chihiro?
Haku falls in love with Chihiro, and he also feel sympathy to Chihiro because Sen looks like Haku himself in the past, before forgetting his name. Therefore, Haku want to keep Chihiro safe from the sustained bathhouse.

3. How does Chihiro change by the end of the story?
Chihiro was timid and very passive to adopting the new as we can see at the beginning of the movie. However, after the adventure in the spirited world, she became brave and not afraid of adapting herself to unfamiliar environments, also overcoming the loneliness.

4. wirte a opinion of spirited away
I watched this movie when i was young, so it is my second time to watch Spirited Away. At this time, i can notice the symbols and the deeper messages that the movie sent. the movie criticized the problems of the current society through various metaphors and i was really touched. It became one of my favorite movies.
Yoni chang

Postby Yumqqq » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Hello everyone, this is Mengqiao Yu, or just Yumqqq 8-) . Is it ok to say that actually I'm not so into this kind of movie? I read some of my classmates' reports, and found everyone else except me just liked it a lot. Anyway, Spirited Away is a movie that will show on many people's "Must Watch" list, so I just went over the movie very quickly again, and here's my report.

The thing attracts me most in the movie is the friendship between Chihiro and Haku. In my childhood, I also expected a close friend like Haku, who would give me a helping hand when I was all alone or stand out for me when I encountered dangers. It moves me a little bit when Haku gives that rice ball to Chihiro when she is crying for finding out that her parents have turned into pigs, which is like Haku actually gives Chihiro a lot of hope when she is kind of desperate. So in this situation, Chihiro is a very lucky child, because on one side, she has not been spoiled by her parents' love or affected by the ugliness in the adult world, and on the other side, Chihiro encounters some challenges in her life, which may be painful and too much for a little girl, but she just goes through the adventures on her own, and she treats people with a kind and gentle heart.

The story happens to Chihiro's parents also got me thinking. The food that Chihiro's parents have eaten in the restaurant is like a kind of temptation in adult world, which symbolizes money, power, social status, etc. To gain the power, or the money, adults are even willing to sacrifice themselves, so they turn into pigs. And it is also from this moment on that Chihiro starts taking care of herself as an adult. In the end, Chihiro has helped Haku to find his name, and Chihiro goes back to the life that she previously had. The adventure is like a dream to Chihiro. However, after the adventure, she grows up, and gradually understands the meaning of love and responsibility.

Hope you would enjoy my reports, thank you guys. :D

- Yumqqq
Yumqqq

Postby RayXiao » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi everyone! I am Lianghuan.

I loved this animation when I was little, and I believe that many of my peers growing up in Asia would gradually find richer meaning in this movie. As a little kid all I love about Spirited Away is its chalky graphics, interesting characters and various types of spirits (or monsters, as I can recall from memory). Later on as an adolescent, I read a story of adventure, growing and love out of this movie. Having watched many of Studio Ghibli products, I found that the theme throughout their stories is the adventure of young kids to grow through difficulties and challenges, which is very uplifting for teenagers.

In addition, every Miyazaki Hayao movie is full of imagination. He creates not only colourful characters, but also a complete environmental system. In Spirited Away the system in the spiritual world is similar to that of the human's. They reside in little towns, travel by trains, and do many things that human do. Also in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, for example, a spectacular world with two very different atmospheres, separating human and the giant mutant insects. The way Miyazaki Hayao constructs a complete world put audiences in the world of imagination, and feel the commonality between the animation world and the real one.

All in all, every time I watch a Hayao movie I am fascinated by the beautiful world I am in, and I really enjoyed it.
RayXiao

Postby HenriqueTeixeira » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Hello everyone!

This film was a very good surprise. I thought I would feel like a children watching a bad and boring film, but I need to admit, this film is great and people of all ages can have fun watching it. :D

Chihiro is a very cute girl who is moving to a new place, she is not happy with this situation because she can’t image herself in a new home, making new friends and going to a new school. When she and her parents were trying to get into their new house, his dad preferred to use a shortcut into the forest instead of the normal road. Unfortunately, they got lost and needed to stop the car in front of a big house. Chihiro’s parents were very excited to enter into the house as opposed to Chihiro. She was a very fearful person and would preferred to stay in the car instead of going out and follow her parents. Surprisingly, they found a beautiful place with a lot of delicious foods on the other side of the house. Unfortunately, the place was not a paradise like it seems to be, it was a bathhouse for spirits that just works at night, part of the day in which the ghosts appears.

One guy called Haku tried to help Chihiro to go away from the bathhouse for spirits, but they took too many time to cross the gate and come back to the real world. When she tried to find their parents, they were looking like pigs. The only option for Chihiro was to trust in Haku. The workers and guests do not like the presence of a human in the bathhouse, so she needs to find a job to continue in this new world. Yubaba (witch that is owner of the bathhouse) reveled that all the humans who enter in the bathhouse are transformed into animals, before being eaten. Just the ones capable to prove their values working are forgiven. Without other alternative, the little girl makes a deal with Yubaba, she renounce humanity and changes its name to Sen, in exchange to have a chance to work and save her family.

Although Chihiro seems to be a very fragile girl and would be not capable to live by herself in the beginning of the film, due the needs, she becomes a brave girl capable to help all the people around her. After come back to the real world with their parents, she was not afraid to move to new place anymore.
HenriqueTeixeira

Postby dr.musleh.dent » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:18 pm

For me, this film was so nice, because it tells us about the human's nature, how the human face some of the temptations that are in our ways and how we should be able to do not drift ourselves behind her.

In this film there are numbers of prominent figures. Such as, Chihiro who turns her name to Sen. Yubaba which manages the bathhouse and who was the cause of control and turn Chihiro to Sen and her parents to pigs. And, Haku who was trying to help Sen because he thought she will help him later. This is also the answer of the third question.

Life gives us strength and knowledge that are sufficient to address the problems and obstacles that confront us and that we should learn from in order how to go beyond them every time. Every time Sen learns a new lesson. Sen was being stronger after that lessons. As well as, purity of her heart helped her to be stronger to distinguish between those who should trust and who need help.

In short, the film was nice in its idea and its story, but I think that it needs to think about the shapes of the characters to be more suited.
dr.musleh.dent

Postby Daeyoungkim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 pm

I think this movie is great animation movie ever. I already saw this movie two times. When I watched this movie first time, my brother recommended this movie and said that it is the best of the Japanese movies and director is amazing people. He did not lie me, it was amazing.

After watching this movie, I think that it is described the capitalism in Korean and Japanese society at that time (2002).
I think this means that both countries people are only focused on earning money. And their culture was changed from western culture like hollywood.
It means that both countries was starting to lose their unique characteristics at that time. So, this movie`s director wanted to talk about this sad situations to their audiences.

The main character Chihiro gains a new name, "Sen". I think Sen reflect new culture. So, Haku who helped Chihiro tells she to never forget her name, her own culture. I think, through this movie, people should realized that never lose their own unique characteristics and should seek their own identity.

Anyways, I think this movie is the one of best animated movies.
Daeyoungkim

Previous

Return to Movie Reports