[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - SPIRITED AWAY

SPIRITED AWAY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

SPIRITED AWAY

Postby maikuu » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:06 pm

:P :P :x :mrgreen: :roll: 8-) :roll: :o :oops: :D :D :D :lol: :| :cry: :roll:

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: SPIRITED AWAY

Postby yuzu-shika » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:32 am

I first saw this movie when I was six, and I saw many times, of course in Japanese. It was the first time to see this movie in English.

I've expected there would not be so much differences between English version and Japanese version. But actually I felt it was different. For example, I had a strange feeling against Haku and Yubaba's magic. Although I was able to accept any wonders when I saw this movie in Japanese, it was difficult to accept Haku's marvelous power when seeing in English. When Haku put his hand on Chihiro's forehead to show her how to go to boiler's room (Kamajii's room), I felt that the movie was like a SF movie.

I guess this strange feeling was caused by the difference of language. Usually I do not think that this movie is SF. However In English version, I thought this scene was strange, It was interesting to see the familiar movie in different language. I hope I could get the sense of English someday.

Teacher's note: I sometimes have a conversation with students about how difficult it is to translate from one language to another because we simply don't have word-for-word language tools, so it's virtually impossible to express the same ideas exactly. From your comments, it sounds like the story loses some of its magic when translated to English, or possibly, you, as a a language learner of English, have not yet become able to discern all the nuances of our crazy language. :mrgreen:

It also sounds as if the story itself has changed somewhat when watched in English. I hope, in the end, that your experience only adds to your appreciation of this amazing film adventure. Thanks for being the first to respond to this prompt.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
yuzu-shika

Postby Jason_Eom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi
I saw this movie two times, in Korean version and English. When I saw the Korean version, actually, I thought I understood 100% but.. it was not ture. After I saw English version, and heard some explain from Japanese friend, there were something new anyway, It was good movie.

While I see this movie, I'm really interested in Bathhouse. What is that? what is different human and them? Who are going to use that? and after I see this movie, I realize that, this bathhouse is for spirtes like ghosts and everyworkers should not be human like frogs and birds and dragon but I still wonder that what is Lin. And Yubaba is owner of this bathhouse and Chihiro is worker of this bathhouse and Haku and Lin and Kamajji help Chihiro in bathhouse. This bathhouse is working on only night and everyworkers and guests also come at night. There are many big baths in bathhouse for sprites which some of them are really big and others are dirty

And once, one guest who is No Face comes to this bath and eat frog and two people. After that makes gold and gives to everybody and also Chihiro because thanks for her, he can get in. And then everyworkers gives foods of something for the guest for gold even Yubaba. but it is wrong because after that the guest becomes to monster. So he destroies everything but Chiciro fix that.

Before the guest comes, there was problem like that but Chihiro also fixed that. So I think this bathhouse's life is really big challenge for her life.

Teacher's note: Yes, it's so creepy and amazing at the bath house, but what is the common thread? Where does the symbolism lie? We might need help from our young Japanese scholars who know these things well. This author hit on some interesting points. The workers are all animals, not people (except Rin). There seems to be some deep message about our fragile ecology, how the sludge of human waste ends up at the bath house, and the animals must clean it up. Not sure though. Thanks for a thorough post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :?:
Jason_Eom

Postby Mie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies! If international friends ask me about Japanese movies that I recommend, I will answer “Spirited Away.” I have watched this movie many times since I was small. I have four favorite points of this movie.

First, I like delicate illustration. Japanese animations are very famous as delicate illustration. Especially, Hayao Miyazaki who is director of studio Ghibli is genius. Despite of feature film, he draw each frame by his hands. I could not believe that people can draw such illustration. I was fascinated them.

Secondly, I like music. There are some mysterious music. The music also made me fascinate the movie.

Thirdly, a lot of spirits appear in the movie. Through watching it, everyone will know Japanese people’s sense of value to spirits or religions.

Moreover, I like the main character, Chihiro. In the beginning, she was sissy. However, she worked a lot to help her parents and got a lot of experience. At last, she became tough. Her change always tells me not to give up and to have confidence.

Finally, I would like more and more people to know about Japan through watching this movie.

Thank you!!

Teacher's note: Thanks for reminding us that Hayao Miyazaki actually rendered the very artwork for Spirited Away! What an amazing artistic and cultural achievement! Spirited Away and Ponyo are the two Miyazaki films that I'm familiar with. Both seem to drill down into subconscious to deliver a message of kindness, fairness, and understand in ways that I'm not sure I understand. Everyone must watch these two movies. Thanks, author, for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Mie

Postby deh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I had never seen this movie before, nor heard about it. Also this isn’t my favorite type of movie. But I was very surprised with the quality of the animation, showing stunning scenery and colorful [images]. Furthermore, the characters are different and I believe they represent a lot [of] the Japanese culture. ;)
The film shows several life lessons, as not being greedy, be honest, help others, persists in pursuit of their goals and not judging people. So it is very educational. :geek:
I found very interesting to see a film from another culture, we can know a little about these places and learn new things, such as bathhouse!!! :D

Teacher's note: When someone discovers a movie in a non-preferred genre and seems to love it, it's like the planets have aligned. I had a similar reaction watching "Spirited Away" for the first time after I had seen "Ponyo". This film leaves me with a lot of questions about the meaning of various characters, places, and outcomes. Like you say, I suppose it requires a deeper understanding of Japanese culture. Our Japanese authors have been dropping hints in their posts. I hope this author has a chance to read them. Thanks for an insightful observation.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
deh

Postby onahna » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm

1. Sp[i]rits need to take a rest in the night, because they work for human all day long, so they go to bathhouse to release themselves.

2. Haku was helping Chihiro, when she was a child, suffered a problem in the river. So, Haku tried to save her from the water. That was a first time, they met each other. After all, Haku knew her, and always besides with her and when she have a problem, Haku appear[ed] and help[ed] her.

3. Chi[hi]ro was kind of a child before. However, after she suffered some hardship. She tried to find a way how to live. Also do her best to save her parents, and go to a long journey because of Haku. She knows that It will be really hard. However, she just go for it to help Haku.

4. I has watched ‘SPRITED AWAY’ 5 times. Every time, my feeling has been always different. So, this movie is very special to me. This movie has many metaphors. For example, ‘no face’ gives lots of gold to bathhouse staff. So, the staff who wants to have much gold try to get interest from ‘no face’. However, the gold was a fake. It means that something which we are crazy for is meaningless. Like this, ‘SPRITED AWAY’ shows and gives many lessons to us.

This is not an animation. It contains and teaches us meaning of life. I recommend this movie to all ages. They can learn many things from it.

Teacher's note: Yes, there are many lessons in "Spirited Away". I have seen this film 4-5 times now, and I have more questions and new feelings each time. In a way, I would like to visit such a magical place as the bath house area. Maybe it's because of the way Chihiro treats it in such a matter-of-fact manner. Most of us would probably freak out at the sight of ghosts. Please watch for GPS, author. Thanks for a nice post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
onahna

Postby KimBH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:14 pm

I saw this movie when I was 8 years old. At that time, I did not understand this movie. I just remembered 'No Face', and I was afraid of him.

I think this movie's director criticizes 2 things.

At first, he criticizes modern people's greed. Chihiro's parents eat constantly, and finally they change to pigs. Also, Bathhouse's employees treat 'No Face' like God, because 'No Face' is able to make gold (=money). They represent modern people's greed.

Seconds, he criticizes about environment pollution. When Chihiro works on the bathhouse, a very dirty guy comes to bathhouse. Chihiro has to treat him. When she washes him, she finds something strange. It is trash. He is covered with trash. It represents about environment pollution.

When I saw this movie at 8 years old, it was just animation. However, at this moment, this movie makes me ponder these questions. Thanks.

Teacher's note: And the gold turns out to be fake. So what does it all mean? Does Miyazaki leave it all up to us to interpret? It seems so easy to say this is greed and that is the environment, but I wonder what he is really trying to tell us about these things. Great post, author. thanks for posting. :cry:

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com
KimBH

Postby HarukaMaekawa » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi!

I'm very happy to see many foreign people's opinion about this movie, because I'm big fan of "Spirited Away"!! When I was a child, my mother was busy for taking care for my younger sisters, so she let me watch Ghibli movies every day. Therefore, actually, I have watched this movie over one hundred [times]!!

Anyway, watching this movie in English was very interesting. I could understand the meaning of each line deeply, because English is relatively direct comparing to Japanese.

"Spirited Away" always reminds me the importance of "name". In this movie, Yubaba governs the people by depriving their name. It is normal for Asian people to use English name in U.S because of convenience. However, I feel sometimes "I want to know real name, too." I don't know why, but I feel names have spirits transmitted by godparent.

Thank you!

Teacher's note: Have you really watched "Spirited Away" 100 times? I too wonder why Asian students often trade their Asian names for easy-to-remember English names except that they're easy to remember. Since this author probably understands the film better than most of us, I wonder if she would be willing to explain some of the symbolism.
Like who is No Face, and why does the gold turn to mud? Does some of the metaphor relate to Japanese mythology of which the rest of us may not be aware? Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
HarukaMaekawa

Postby Mohalyami » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 am

I want to admit that I did not know any thing about Japanese culture. In fact, this animation gives me a little bit [of] information about people in Japan. How they think and what they believe are two important questions that came up when I was watching the movie. After the movie finished, I searched in internet what spirit represents in japan culture. :idea:

The story starts when Chihiro went to with her parents to visit other people. However, the plan is changed after they see an abandoned house. It is surrounded by beautiful green land and river. The story changes dramatically after her parents ate in a restaurant and turned into pigs. She promises herself to rescue her parents. This insistence is the most powerful thing that she has to help them. As a result, she had found that all spirits want to help her. One of them is Haku who help her to remember her name and see her parents.

In my opinion, I think the movie conveys very important message which is when fight for someone that you love him/her, every thing in this world will help you. Love makes the world more peaceful. :P

Teacher's note: So I wonder if this author found out something about what spirits represent in Japanese culture? Do tell, please! What a great notion that others will come to your rescue when you most need to help the ones you love. Sometimes we say that "love makes the world go round." Thanks for a spirited post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Mohalyami

Re: SPIRITED AWAY (Mike)

Postby Ulan Korabay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am

test post. sorry
Ulan Korabay

Next

Return to Movie Reports