[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

Postby maikuu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 am

;) :( :roll: :roll: :? :roll: :geek: :| :oops: :( :roll: 8-) ;) :( :( :lol:
Attachments
ItHappened1Nite.jpg
Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Shirley Temple, and Frank Capra (director)
ItHappened1Nite.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

Postby DDF2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:28 am

It was my first time to watch such an old movie that was taken before World War Ⅱ, 30’s. This movie was very different from other movies that I have watched before. For example, black-and-white movies and no music. When we compare to the modern movies, the modern movies are colorful and it is easier to recognize and understand than black-and-white movies. Movies that have music are also easier to understand the stories or evolution. However, I think that movies that do not have music have good point. I think that no music can tell us complex character’s feeling more clearly.

I like the main character’s father. This is because fathers who are rich usually make their daughters marry rich men. However, he [Ellie's father] did not. He really loved her and he wished she would marry a nice man even if he was not rich. And at last, Ellie's father let her escape from marriage and make her marry to King Westley.

I did not have opportunities to watch such an old movie. I found many differences between black-and-white movies and modern movies and enjoyed it.

Thank you!!

Teacher's note: I know that in today's time, it may not be so easy to appreciate a movie released all the way back in the 1930s. So, thank you author for your courage in expressing your generosity towards those pioneers who did not have today's technology and brain trust that allows us to crank out such works of wonder that could not have been imagined in 1934, four years after Hollywood first went from silent movies to "talkies". Yet Frank Capra, director, somehow created a masterpiece of comedy with the presence of legendary actors Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. I love this post. :mrgreen:

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
DDF2

Postby Jason_Eom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Actually this was my first time to see the 'old movie' like black and white screen. So while I was watching this movie, there were many difficulties to understand such as taking skills and languages. Actually the taking skills were really old. One of them was driving scene. I found that the car was stopped but only the background was moving.n And also I found the old stuff such as old accommodations and restaurants and cars and cultures. The best was the bus from Miami to New York for me.

And about languages, in this movie, some words were old languages which is not using anymore as teacher said and there were some slang and idioms which are using even now. It was interesting because I thought this movie could be kind of history about languages. So I'm going to search my country's old movies like this for history of languages and taking skills.

And this was really good time for me because before, I didn't have chance to see movies like this.
Thank you.

Teacher's note: Old movies sure give us the opportunity to compare a time in the past with our time. It is interesting to note the similarities. I'm especially drawn to the fact that the human condition never changes but the collected knowledge is ever growing. Glad you liked "It Happened One Night."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Jason_Eom

Postby HarukaMaekawa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Even though I don't have enough knowledge about the movies of this generation, I like these kind[s] of movies. Development of story is predictable love romance, but lines and movements of characters are sophisticated and cute!! Therefore, I really enjoyed this movie!!

Of course, I enjoyed this movie's story, but [how the characters] used English in this movie was also interesting for me. Compared to the movie we watched last week, "Chef", lines are restricted by grammar but sophisticated. I liked the characters in "Chef" who used funny slang, but in this movie, not slang but verbal plays made this movie one of the masterpieces of silent film.

However, I think background music is a big innovation of present movies. The movie without any music was little bit strange and not satisfactory to me. Even though the contents of the movie was not so good, we sometimes would be satisfied by background music.

Anyway, thank you for giving us opportunity to watch the movie!

Teacher's note: I'm so glad this author appreciated "It Happened One Night." A good point is made about the minimal use of background music in films of this era. I guess that, since the age of "talkies" had just begun, people didn't expect much in the realm of sound. But that sure changed. By the 1940s, there was a lot more background music in the typical movie. thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
HarukaMaekawa

Postby fasazh83 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:38 am

It [Happened One Night] was an interesting story about a spoiled rich girl and a newspaperman. Simultaneously there was America's Great Depression. He has had problems at work. She has had problems with her father. So, she [was] running away from her father. By virtue of fate their paths crossed.

The newsman agrees to help the young woman reunite with her husband in New York if she will let him have the story. Peter and Ellie began a journey, and somewhere along the road, they accidentally fall in love in each other.

He influenced her, she began to change for the better, she is already not a spoiled girl. This is really one of the great romance comedies of film history!

Teacher's note: Another kind review of this classic film. Historians of film mostly agree that "It Happened One Night" is one of the all-time movies, and this author agrees.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
fasazh83

Postby yuzu-shika » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:23 pm

It was a nice movie. I think nice movie is always nice regardless the time it was made. The music which is used at the beginning, was like an American old songs...I heard this kind of music in Disneyland, and I love it!

English used by actor and actress was harder to listen to compared to modern movies. I think it is because of the speed and intonation. Especially when the actor was angry and yelled at someone, I could hardly listen to his words.

The scene I like the most is when the crowds in the bus started singing. They all seemed really happy while singing and dancing. Although Ellie and Peter was in bad term at first, I could see both smiling and singing, I love this scene and songs.

Though I wrote that I like the songs in this movie, there were no background music unlike recent movies. So I could feel as if it really happened. Also, I could concentrate on actor and actress's voice and face. They were expressing various feelings through their tone of voice and facial expression or their eyes. They were really beautiful. I was impressed by the actress (Ellie) using both high cute voice and low strong voice. She looked really woman but also to have strong mind in herself. She was beautiful.

I would like to see movies that are made long ago like this more. Thank you :)

Teacher's note: This author hits on several key points. Several authors mentioned the singing-on-the-bus scene as their favorite. I think it is my favorite too. Somehow, it draws me most strongly into the romance of this era. "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze." Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :shock:
yuzu-shika

Re: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (Mike)

Postby deh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 pm

It was the first time I saw an old film, in black and white, and without all the effects we have today. But strangely I liked it a lot!!! I think I mostly liked the story because this mixes scenes of romance, with comedy and a little drama.

Without a doubt my favorite part is when they try to hitch a ride. Peter has several tricks but none works, then Ellie just shows part of her legs and get a ride easily. It’s so funny!!!
deh

Re: IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (Mike)

Postby lucasliu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 am

This movie is really different from others we have seen. There is no background music in the movie. Most of the time, the actor themselves are singing and playing music. This story also is interesting, and some scene still can make viewers laugh today. May be this is what the enchantment the classic movie are. And when they driving cars, the outside background is vague. Maybe they did not really driving cars. Is this the early stage of special effects? I really enjoy this movie.
Thank you.

Teacher's note: This is one of the most observant posts ever at MGE. Please read it. I find myself completely in agreement. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :evil:
lucasliu

Return to Movie Reports