[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE

BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE

Postby maikuu » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From left to right, back row, Producer David Hoberman, Actor Steve Harris, Actor Eugene Levy, Actress Missi Pyle, Actor Steve Martin, Actress Jean Smart, Actor Victor Webster, front row, Actress Queen Latifah, Actor Angus T. Jones, Director Adam Shankman, Actress Kimberly J. Brown, Animal Actor Linus, Actress Betty White, and Co-Producer Todd Lieberman at the premiere of their movie “Bringing Down The House” on March 2, 2003 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Dan Steinberg/Getty Images)
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE

Postby psh1219 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Set up : Peter is a lawyer who wants to manage the account of a wealthy heiress. He meets Charlene on a blind date in his house, but Charlene is not a person who he expected. He tries to exclude her out of his house. Charlene wants that he prove her innocent, so she sticks to him anywhere such as his house, company. Finally, he promises to help her.

Opinion : This is a comedy movie. It's funny. This movie made me laughed a lot and also made me thought about the issues of family and racism. Peter was working hard, so couldn't spend much time with his family. I thought he was divorced because of the problem, but he couldn't realize his problem before he met Charlene. And some people in the movie, especially the wealthy heiress, had a bias of Charlene since she was a African-American. Watching this movie is a good chance to learn English and to think back our life. I highly recommend this movie.

New words : heiress, geriatric, expunge, framed, subtle
psh1219

Postby Faisal alenazi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:46 pm

* The film story is a lawyer who is suffering from problems in his work and lack of attention to his family, which caused him a lot of problems because he accidentally falls in dating a woman has adheres to these women do when knowing innocence to increase the problems of the wealthy layer in which they live, but this woman the later help him in solving family problems and rearranges all his life anew.

* In my opinion, the film is the lack of attention to work dramatically and neglecting the family and the distribution of tasks in order to be happy in life
Also contempt for the people and not to move away from racism.

Comedy film addresses these issues in a beautiful and funny. :lol: :lol:

* Words in the film: racism - innocent - divorce - minor - collaborator
Faisal alenazi

Postby PattyTsai » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Peter, a lonely lawyer, met Charlene, who was supposed to be in prison, on the Internet. He invited her for dinner at his house but the lady was not the girl who he expected. He tried to get rid of her but she was always around him and eventually annoyed his important client- Mrs.Arness. Charlene's appearance also made it more complicated to win back Kate, his ex-wife, because she thought Peter were dating with Charlene. However, his children began to rely on her and she gradually became one of their part. At the end, Peter tried to prove Charlene's innocence even almost killing himself.

This is a comedy and I like this kind of movie a lot. I can understand the main idea of the movie; however, on the other hand, it is still hard for me to catch the conversation they did in the movie without subtitles because there were too much slang and words which we seldom used. What I need to say is that I really enjoyed this movie in class.

NEW WORDS: pump your brakes, riled up, banging, snap out of it, jaywalking
PattyTsai

Postby Kazunori » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:08 pm

This movie describes the drama of changing one man’s characters and life because of transactions with people. Peter got changed his life since he met Charlene. He became kind enough to be with and encourage his children and his wife. This is a very obvious point. But I think the most interesting thing is the person who changes the mind of Peter, a white rich attorney, is a black poor woman. The factors of making the change of Peter were her cheerful disposition and this disposition is, in just my opinion, unique feature of black people such as giving hugs to each other. These actions are very heartwarming for me while white people have also good features.

In addition, this story is full of ironical humors about the injustice of black people, and these humors reminded me of the cruel history which US has and inspired me that the discrimination is definitely evil because the black people are also gentle, kind, and cheerful like Charlene. This movie seems to me not only funny but also inspiring to abandon the sense of discrimination. For everybody to be happy, it is necessary to accept the differences.
4.5 stars.
Kazunori

Postby RyoMurakami » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Set-Up: Peter, a tax lawyer who has worked earnestly, has been separated from his family because of such the workaholic. As a result of that, he has been addicting to the chat of an online-dating site. Then one day he tried to meet one intelligent lawyer-girl whom he knew through the chat, but he was disappointed because he knew the lawyer-girl was not who he expected, but was a black woman, a convicted robber who wanted him to prove her innocence. Although he refused the offer at first, after all he followed her by her aggressiveness and insistence.

Opinion: I believe that this story is more than just a comedy, I mean the story raise a kind of discrimination as a topic nevertheless this is a funny film. We can predict that the film treating such a topic would be a more serious one though, this plot has been able to treat the serious topic well in funny scenes, of course it is paid attention not to be offensive. So this film has two aspects, makes us laugh and think about the discrimination especially of a race. I would like to recommend this movie as both a funny American movie and an inspiring movie.

Words: broom, bulimia, skulk, wedge, nanny
RyoMurakami

Postby Koichi Shimizu » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm

--- Bringing down the house ---

STORY : A lawyer, Peter Sanderson, is a main character. He is a terribly diligent person so that his wife, Kate Sanderson, is gradually fed up with him.
One day, he makes up a bling date with a woman who got known each other on a blind dating web page. He is totally excited about seeing her; however, the coming woman is completely different from the one that he had imagined. The woman, Charlene Morton, was arrested as a suspected robber and a jail breaker. Although she claims him many times that she is innocent, he firstly tries to turn her back to police.
She always lead him around by the nose. While he spends long time with her, he gradually notices a lot of good points of her. Then, he tries to verify that "she is not guilty........."

MY IMPRESSION : I thought that the movie was about racial discrimination. However, it was a one of enjoyable and heartful movie.
I found that it told us that people should not judge a book by its cover, but carefully look one's inner characteristic. The important thing that the movie and the directer have been saying is to look one's inside closely and make a action.

NEW EXPRESSION :
Georgey Sanderson: [reading an article from an adult magazine] Dad, what's a rack?
Peter Sanderson: It's a country.

Peter Sanderson: I message for you.
Howie: 'The cool points out the window and you got him all twisted up in the game.'
Charlene Morton: That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Mrs. Kline: Mr. Sanderson! Is everything okay? I thought I heard Negro!

Mrs. Arness: I do believe I'm stoned.

Howie Rottman: Do me a favor, precious: don't ever scare me like that again, or I'm gonna give you a nasty spankie... if I'm not being too subtle!
Charlene Morton: He's such a damn freak!

Koichi Shimizu
Last edited by Koichi Shimizu on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koichi Shimizu

Postby YRAMM » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Peter, a main character of this movie, is a lawyer, and he divorced his wife. He always spends time for work rather than family. Even if he promised his children, he broke it and worked. One day, Peter met a woman, Charlene, who chat on the Internet, but he was so depressed because she was not a woman he expected. She was a black and wanted him to prove her innocence from bank robber. Peter kicked her out, but eventually, he lost her obstinate, persistent attitudes (actually, she is wise, I think).

In my opinion, I like this movie. Charlene is not just a black woman, but a wise, reliable. I found some funny scene in this movie, but I don't think this is a comedy (even though this movie is classified as comedy). The most interesting point is how Peter change. He couldn't change without Charlene. Charlene is a very attractive person in this movie. Peter was gradually changing his perspective for her. I recommend this movie. Look at Peter and Charlene.
YRAMM

Postby Emiko Matsumoto » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Set up: Hero of this movie is Peter. He is lawyer and works earnestly. He doesn't care about his family, so he is estranged from his family.One day, he meets a woman whose name is Charlene on chat.He expects to meet a beautiful girl who has blond hair and blue eyes. but in fact, the woman is black woman and she is an escaped prisoner‼ She wants him to prove her innocent because he is lawyer. In the beggining, he kepts away from her, but gradually, he accepts her as she twists him around her little finger.

Opinion: I think this movie is fun and teaches us racial discrimination through comedy. Also, Peter meets woman by using chat. This situation shows modernitic problem. Moreover, I feel importance of family, the love of a husband and wife. I can enjoy watching movie.

Words: honky, in a crunch, flexible, humdrum, riled up
Emiko Matsumoto

Postby Hikari » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Bringing Down The House

The main character is a man Peter Sanderson who is acted by Steve Martin. He is a lawyer and lonly even if he has a wife and children, so he tried to get a girl friend through the internet. He knew a woman Charlene Morton who is acted by Queen Latifah. He thought the woman is beautiful and clever, however the real is quite different when they met. The days that Peter is brandished by Charlene started. What is going to happen to Peter and his family ?

In my opinion, this movie is a quite funny movie, however it is too indelicate. When I want to laugh, this movie is good. However basically I like movies whic have deeper stories. What I like in this movie is a happy end and their characteristics. All they have good characteristics, especially Charlene. I think if I can live like Charlene, I can enjoy my life a lot.

Five expressions
>uneventful : with nothing exciting or unusual happening
>gouge : to make a deep hole or cut in the surface of something
>incarcerate : to put or keep someone in prison
>convict : to prove or officialy announce that someone is guilty of a crime after a trial in a law court
>resist : to stop yourself from having something that you like very much or doing something that you want to do
Hikari

Next

Return to Movie Reports