Mad About Movies - Winter 2014.1: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Mad About Movies - Winter 2014.1: Introductions

Postby DavidC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Welcome to the Mad About Movies!

If you have logged into this web site, it means you have successfully registered, and your account has been activated at the MoviesGrowEnglish Forum.

Please POST/REPLY a few words here about your interest in movies. If you're not sure what to write, you can answer these questions:

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
3. What is your favorite movie now?
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?

Also, please take a look at the movie list on the MoviesGrowEnglish front page and make five recommendations (ones you'd like to see) from the list. Choose movies from at least three different genres. You can read about the movies listed if you scroll down the front page to the individual links.

If you have a question, please e-mail me at teacherchrisman@gmail.com or ask another student.

I hope you enjoy the class!
DavidC

Re: Mad About Movies - Winter 2014.1: Introductions

Postby remi1992 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi David,

I cannot remember the first movie I saw in a theater, but when I was a child I loved watching animations and action movies.
acutally, I have a lot of favorite movies, but I think one is above all. "Volcano" with Tommy Lee Jones is one of those movie that in my opinion are great.
I really do appeciate action, drama, historical movies.
there are a bunch of actors that I consider as the greatest actors, such as Tommy Lee Jones, Bruce willis, Chuck norris, Harrison Ford, Sylvester Stallone, Steven Seagal, Nicolas Cages and others like the Governator :D
I signed up for this elevtive for two reasons.
In 105 I consider that it is a intence course, between morning classes, and afternoon classes (TOELF), so I decided to take an elevtive that will allow me not only to relax 4 hours in a week, but also to perfect my TOEFL skills (listening and vocabulary) . I expect to this elevtive to be relax and useful being in relationship with the other classes.
My recommendations are :
O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU : COMEDY HIST
ARGO : POLITICAL THRILLER
PULP FICTION : COMEDY CRIME
UNSTOPPABLE : DRAMA ACTION
THE ROCK : ACTION DRAMA

Have a wonderful Sunday
remi1992

Postby Antonio1986 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi David,

I don't remember which was the first movie I saw in the theater, but probably was a Disney movie. When I was a child my favorites movies were Toy Story and The Lion King. Now I don't have a favorite movie, I enjoy almost any kind of movie. My favorite genres are thriller and drama. Also, I don't have one particular favorite director, but I like David Fincher and Christopher Nolan among others. I like a lot of actors and actress such as Michael Fassbender, Christian Bale, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Amy Adams and Natalie Portman. I signed up for this class is because I like movies, and I hope during this class we can learn and improve our English and different skills, like listening.
My recommendations are (some of them are not in the list):
- The Next Three Days.
- The Sum of All Fears.
- State of Play.
- Gone Girl.
- The Shawshark Redemption.
- The Prestige.
- Argo.
- The Ides of March.
- Quatom of Solace.
- Body of Lies.
- American Gangster.
- Law Abiding Citizen.
- Fracture.
- Gone Baby Gone.
Antonio1986

Postby Line1992 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I barely can remember what was my first movie at the theater. However my favorite movie as a child is `Spirited away`. I was fascinated by the original story and the different culture where the movie took place.
I have a lot of favorite movies, although one of my recent favorite movie is boyhood. I love the way the movie had been directed. Its incredible to realize that they have been filming the same actors for such a long time and in my opinion the story as the direction are so interesting that it is for me one of the best movie I have ever seen.
I really love action and drama movie and I do not like too much romantic comedy, sometimes is too unrealistic and it is something that I do not enjoy watching a movie.
One of my favorite actress is Julianne Moore and I have lot of admiration for Steven Spielberg.
I choose this elective class, first, because a lot of people talk me well about this class. Then because Im a graduated student in journalism and my friends were students in Audiovisual communication. Therefore, I use to go often to the theater and more than to just enjoy a movie I started to get interested in the industry as a all. I still have lot of to learn about movies and In the other hand, watching Series and Movies has been one of the best way to improve my English and to understand the world cultures.

My recommendation list is:
- John Carter
- The Social Network
- V for Vendetta
- Inception
- Forrest Gump

See you tomorrow in Class !

Line
Line1992

Postby Gabrielle1996 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:43 am

Hi David,

I don't really remember what is the first movie I watched to the theater but the first which come to my mind when I try to think about that, is the first Harry Potter movie. I like this kind of movie but when I was younger, my favorites movies were the trilogy "The Lord Of The Rings", which still are on my top list. Because today, I can't really choose a specific movie like my 'favorite'. Because each kind of movie can't be compared to the others. So I have favorites movies per genre. And so, I watch all kind of genre, same if I have a preference for science-fiction or fantastique when I want an amusing film.
About the actresses, I really like Charlize Theron, Nathalie Portman, Scarlett johansson and Diane Kruger. I like a lot of others but this four are my favorite. For the man, I think that Leonardo Dicaprio is the best. A lot of actors are great, but he is just amazing. And finally, the directors. It's hard to choose but I think that Quentin Tarantino is really showing the meaning of the seventh art. But Spielberg and Woody Allen are spectacular too.

I choose this class because my passion has always been movies and tv shows and all the things around that. And I wanted to learn more about it, specially when I think to make the cinema a part of my work in the futur. I need and I want to know more about all that. About movies, directors, history, context ...

Argo
Black Swan
Dark Night
Devil Wears Prada
Forrest Gump
Inception
Jurassic Park
The king's Speech
The Matrix
Million Dollar Baby
Shakespeare In Love
Slumdog Millionaire
The Social Network
V For Vendetta
Gabrielle1996

Postby Taku1990 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:47 am

Hi David

I don’t remember the first movie I saw, but I liked to watch animations such as Toy story. And especially I liked movies made by Ghibli when I was a child. I’m not sure Ghibli’s movies are famous among other countries, but actually many Japanese watch that movies when they are children.
I selected this class because recently I’ve studied English using movies or American drama, but still now it’s not easy for me to watch it without subtitle. I hope I could totally understand the contents of that after finishing this class.

These are my recommendation

Devil wears the prada
Intouchables
Shawshank Redemption
Toy Story3
Saw
Yes man
Les miserable
The usual suspects
The butterfly effect
About time
Notting Hill