MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS - 2015-2016 (Mike)

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Re: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS - 2015 (Mike)

Postby Fawziah » Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi, I like to watch movies all the time because I'm lazy to do anything else. :mrgreen: also, I like to watch many different stories and its makes me into the movies with all my feelings. I like drama, action, comedy and a little bit of romantic movies.
Here is some of my favorite movies:
1-Castaway.
2-Black Swan.
3-Hangover.
4-insception.
5-Get Hard.
6-The Devil Wears PRADA.

Thank you :geek:

Teacher's note: Yeah, I guess movies can make us feel lazy (good point). "Unstoppable" is a good example. Those guys are all humping in that movie while we're sitting back and observing. I like your list. Four of the films are on Movies Grow English. Thanks for posting. :ugeek:

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish,com :roll:
Fawziah

Postby akerke » Fri May 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi everyone!My name is Akerke! I'm really glad to be with you, guys, at Film elective class! I'll try to briefly answer the question why am I so sick with cinematography industry. Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t like movies? Not everyone likes sport, or reading books, and some people, apparently, aren’t even all that keen on dance, but everyone loves movies.

They seem to be the one thing in the world we all enjoy. Why is that? What is it about movies that has this extraordinary universal appeal? I think, because movies could expand our emotional bandwith - it makes us to feel sensations that we rarely experience in our normal lives. Movies allow us to escape—and there’s value in that—but it’s more than simple escapism. Movies take us to places we’ve never been and inside the skin of people quite different from ourselves.

They offer us a window onto the wider world, broadening our perspective and opening our eyes to new wonders. Also, movies are a perfect type of entertainment, you can go out with your friends and watch some movie and after that have some interesting discussions about it.

Aaaand there's a list of my favourite movies:
1. Dirty dance 1,2
2. The breakfast club
3. Seven pounds
4. Memoirs of a Geisha
5. Casablanca
6. Lord of ring 1.2.3
7. Interstellar

Teacher's note: Thanks for an excellent summary of why we love movies. In one of my other classes one of my students made an impromptu presentation about a "romantic food." His surprise answer was "popcorn" because he noticed how he and others would eat it on a movie date. So yes, movies---and popcorn--- can help us fall in love. What's not to like? Thanks for a nice list, some classics and a recent film. Casablanca is on my current list. Regards.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
akerke

Postby Aibar » Mon May 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi, everyone!
I want to write about the benefits of watching movies, especially in our class. Firstly, movies can help us to improve our listening skills. Secondly, it can provide us the image of American culture. Thirdly, it's very funny because who wouldn't prefer watching movies to boring lessons)))
I have made a list of my favorite movies, so there it is:
1. Hotel Grand Budapest
2. 21 by Robert Luketic
3. Gladiator
4. A good year
5. Rock 'n' Rolla by Guy Ritchie
6. King's speech

P.S. Its only part of my favorite movies)))
Aibar

Postby Molly » Tue May 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi! I already took this course half a year ago. And it helped me a lot. But I still have some problems with listening, so I decided to take this class again. During studying I've learned the valuable lesson. The more you listen, the better you speak and write!
I will be happy to watch:
1. Harry Potter (all editions)
2. The Hobbit
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. A Beautiful Mind
5. The Theory of Everything
And please, more Disney or Pixar cartoons)
Molly

Postby The3TG » Thu May 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi
My name is Mohammad and its my first month here in USC international Academy and so far I am really impressed by the methods they take here to improve our English that will defiantly improve my listening/speaking and writing skills beyond what I thought it might reach by the end of this course.

So far my favorite class without doubt is Mr. Mike's English thorough film class, I mean come on who doesn't love movies!?? Add to it now you can understand some certain details in a movie that you never paid attention to it before, you start to listen and connect events full of details in a way that you've never done it before as a speaker of English as a second language and its all in a fun creative way that would never get you bored while learning.

Since I am a movie fan am going to list some of my all time favorites that I would be more than happy to watch again:

1-The Godfather
2- Inception
3- Shutter Island
4- Matrix
5- Saving Private Ryan
6-Gladiator
7-Rush
8- The dark knight
9-Bitter Moon
10-Blow

Teacher's note: A great list. So glad you share my enthusiasm for films. One of the silliest things I hear students or anyone say is, "I've already seen that movie." Is it only possible to watch a movie one time? This author thinks not, and I agree. Thanks for a cool post, and thanks for liking the class.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :shock:
The3TG

Postby Tumi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 am

Hi,
My name is Fatma, I'm from Kuwait. I enjoy watching movies sometimes in my free time. Five of my favorite movies are:
- Game of Death
- October Sky
- Tomb Raider
- Billy Elliot
- Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story

Teacher's note: I am not familiar with several of these films. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Tumi

Postby abanumay » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 pm

I'm interested in movies and how to learn from movies, I like movies about cars such as fast and furious, also movies about romantic stories such as titanic and oh yes! I hate super hero movies, it seems silly and childish to me. :D :D

Here is my recommendation movies:
1-American Sniper
2-taken 1
3-The Hangover
4-Home alone
5-Inception
6-Little Miss Sunshine
7-The Hangover

Teacher's note: I loved "American Sniper," the way it avoided judging, only showing. I think this author really likes "The Hangover" "The Hangover". Me two.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
abanumay

Postby Xiaoyu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi,

This is Xiaoyu in the class. I love to watch movies because I would see different stories that won't happen in my daily life but are interesting or moving. I spend most of my time watching Chinese movies. During this class, I expect to view more American movies, especially conmedy. I believe that I will have a perfect time here. Thank you!

Here is my list of movie:
American Beauty
Black Swan
Frozen
Newbie hood
King Fu Panda
Xiaoyu

Postby zuhui » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Hello,
This is Zuhui! I'm so glade to get this course. I love film a lot and I really enjoyed the first class today! Harry Potter is one of my favorite film, and I'm so surprised that we can have it for today! This is my first class that use film to study English, I think it is really creative and it's a good way to get interested in English! Smart way! I almost go to film theater every weekend, I love lots of films. I hope that I can explore more great films and look forward to our class! I took a simple explore on the main page of the website, I found so many films which I like. Here is the list of my recommendation:
1. Avatar
2. 2012
3. Hugo
4. Avengers
5. Black swan
6. Casablanca
7. Frozen

Thank you for showing us so great class and I think this website is awesome!
Zuhui

Teacher's note: I'm so glad you like the MoviesGrowEnglish! I really believe that watching movies is a powerful instrument for growing English. I hope that everyone can benefit from this. Thank you for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
zuhui

Postby xueting » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi! I'm Xueting Zhang. I'm so happy to participate in your great film class:-)

To be honest, film is kind of necessary in my life because when I watch films, I have access to experience different kinds of lives of different people, a sort of way to enrich my real life time.

Moreover, it's fantastic for me when some thoughts of the directors of specific films echos mine! You know, people always feel good when there's someone who think similarly as them.

Sharing ideas with people who have good taste of great films is definitely enjoyable!

So my list of recommendation is:
Casablanca
Black Swan
Fast & Furious
Life of Pi
The Shawshank Redemption
Spirited Away

Thank you!
xueting

PreviousNext

Return to Recommended Movies