MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS - 2015-2016 (Mike)

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Re: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS - 2015 (Mike)

Postby jacqueline » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi guys, I'm Jacqueline.

The reason I signed up for this class is that movie[s] is kinda the only thing that could attract my attention. Thus after watching a lot of movie[s] I started to learn how to produce a movie by myself when I was a[n] undergrad. Through watching films, both westerns of Chinese, audience can learn really a lot, like the way people from different culture talk to others and even their body language when speaking. So I select this course hoping to get a further exploration of how exactly native English speakers chose words, combine sentences and use idioms.

Here is my recommendation list:
1. Descendants (only because George Clooney)
2. Forest Gump
3. The Truman Show
4. Hugo
5. The King's speech
6. Little miss sunshine

Some of them might be old, but classic is classic.
jacqueline

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi,

My name is Jessica, glad to attend this class about movie. I think learning English through movie indeed is a good way, not only to know more about the language, but also about the culture, custom, and so many other trivia things. I love watching movies. There are lots of good movies lately, I saw many people listed some newly released ones. Therefore I would like to recommend something aged. Here is my recommendations, hope you will like it:

1. As Good As it Gets

2. Full Metal Jacket

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

4. Misery

5. Pearl Harbor

Thanks! :)
Jessica

Postby xyweng » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi everyone, I’m Sylvie.

I’ve been a movie lover since I was in junior high and I’ve got a collection of over 170 movies in my mobile hard disk. I named the folder “cinema” and it got a really diverse list from cartoons to Sci-Fi and from old movies like Gone with the wind to the latest ones. So it is really a tough decision for me to pick only 5 or 6 movies. :? After going through my list over and over again, I chose the following ones and I had to mention that the first one Crash is my all-time favorite.

1.Crash
2.The Shawshank Redemption
3.The Last Emperor
4.Leon
5.The Hours
6.Corpse Bride

See you next week. ;)
xyweng

Postby ClaireL » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Claire. I have attended to one film course in the University of Kent in the exchange program and got to learn a lot about the developments of Hollywood movies. Therefore it's so exciting to be in LA, the city of Hollywood, and study films again. I am a big fan of cartoons and I have watched a lots of them from either Pixel or DreamWorks. I am very interested in some old American films because my film course before( although I'm a girl, I love Marilyn Monroe). Also, I love suspense movies. So these are my recommendations:

1. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
2. Wreck it Ralph
3. Bonnie and Clyde
4. How to Train your dragon
5. Saw
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Thank you. See you next week~
ClaireL

Postby zhang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi~
This is Yang! Love film, love this course and love to enjoy good films together. I think watching movie is a great way to obtain various life experience, across time and space. Since I am not a professional, I really appreciate the precious chance to be in this class :)

Here is the list of my recommendation:
1. Before midnight
2. Lost in translation
3. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
4. Birdman
5. The butterfly effect
6. The godfather
7. Lolita
8. Big fish
9. The book thief
10.He is just not that into you

Hope to share opinions and exchange ideas about films and film industry with you! :)

Yang
zhang

Postby Amber » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi,everyone, it's great to see so many recommendations here. I am Amber.

I choose this course because I am a big fan of movie. I always believe movie is the best way to tell stories, and learn about a society. Therefore, learning English by watching movies is probably the best and most effective way for me. I am expecting to learn not just vocabulary and grammar but something more about culture and life in this class.

Here are my recommendations. Some of them are ridiculous but that's one of my favorite genres.

- A clockwork orange
- Before sunrise
- The truman show
- Flipped
- Black swan
Amber

Postby ttangra » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:26 am

Film Recommendation
Hi, I’m Tang Tang. I am a big fan of movies since when I was very young. I can still remember the excitement and when I first watched the lion king in the cinema. Later when I grow up, the passion for movie continues although the motives have changed. To me, movies can always express different kinds of ideology, thoughts, experience of life, thus it can provide me new angles of view to look at my own life. Also, when I watch English movies, I can also improve my English skills.

These are the movies I recommend, which is also my favorite:

Forrest Gump
The Shawshank Redemption
The Lord of the Ring series
Kill Bill Series(Quentin Tarantino’s movies always worth watching)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Star Wars series
Whiplash
Birdman

Thanks!
ttangra

Postby lxr205 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi, this is Sherry. I love watching movies, and I am a big fan of comedy and drama. However, I am really not into horror movies and thrillers. Please do not play horror movies during our class. :D :D After checking out the list of movies, I feel that they are all sooooo good! It is really hard for me to choose.
Here are some movies I think worth watching:
V for Vendetta
UP
Miyazari's Spirited Away
Pulp Fiction
The King's Speech
The Notebook
lxr205

Postby yuzhang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi,
This Yu Zhang. I used to be a crazy movie fan when I was in high school. I was actually the leader of a movie fan club fan back then. At first it was just for fun, but when I get older I begin to read and learn the concept of different types of movies. Sometimes I feel like seeing different world and meeting with different people while watching movies. Good movies are refreshing.
My recommendation list is as following:
1.Groundhog Day
2.American Beauty
3.Artist
4.A Beautiful Mind
5.The Dark Knight
6.Hotel Rwanda

Please don't do Hunger Games!
yuzhang

Postby RayXiao » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi everyone I'm Ray. Normally I watch movies to kill time but at other times I think movies can be a really good tool with which we can use to reflect on myself a little bit.

So what I would recommend will be,

1.Shawshank Redemption. I love Morgan Freeman especially for his acting and his role of being sort of a time line in a narrative way.
2.The Matrix.
3.Good Will Hunting
4.Truman
RayXiao

PreviousNext

Return to Recommended Movies