David's Class - Summer 2013: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Re: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS - Summer 2013

Postby Fatma.Baroun » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello, my name is Fatma and I'm from Kuwait.

I love Comedy/Adventure movies. Also I Love animation movies.

I would like to recommend these movies.

- Spirited away.
- Howl's moving castle.
- Tangled.
- Toys Story.
- Kung Fu Panda.
- The wizard of Oz.

HI FATMA,

IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU IN CLASS!

I'M NOT SURPRISED THAT YOUR MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM AVERAGE. WHEN YOU DO YOUR PRESENTATION, I'D LOVE FOR YOU TO BRING IN SOME OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ANIME. I'M SURE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF STORY WOULD CONTRIBUTE A LOT TO THE CLASS DISCUSSIONS.

SEE YOU IN CLASS!

DAVID
Fatma.Baroun

Re: David's Class - Summer 2013: Introductions

Postby tinghsuan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi, I'm ting hsuan from Taiwan :D

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
It had been too long times ago. I think was probably a cartoon.
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
Cinderella
3. What is your favorite movie now?
I love many movies, it's really hard to chose one of them!! But the most two movies I love are "one day" and "fast and furious 5".
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
I love both action and romantic.
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
Anne Hathaway
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?
I love watching movies!! And it's hard to understand some of the movies when I'm lack of cultural background. So I think it might be good to sign up this class to learn some words about movies and also some American culture.

HI TING HSUAN,

THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE FORUM. I'M GLAD TO HAVE YOU IN OUR CLASS. ONE OF MY GOALS FOR THE CLASS IS TO GIVE STUDENTS A CHANCE TO LEARN ABOUT CULTURAL ISSUES BEHIND A MOVIE AND THEN TO STOP THE MOVIE IN KEY PLACES TO DISCUSS ISSUES AS THEY COME UP IN THE FILM. YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE TO THE CLASS BY ASKING QUESTIONS WHEN SOMETHING INTERESTS YOU THAT I HAVEN'T TAGGED FOR DISCUSSION.

SEE YOU IN CLASS!

DAVID
tinghsuan

Postby Mazen » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi guys, I am mazen from Saudi Arabia.

unfortunately, i don't remember, but 'Inglorious of bastard' was one of the first movies I've seen.

Toy Story
GLADIATOR.
HISTORY, POLITICAL, COMEDY
GERARD BUTLER, RUSSEL CROWEL
I LIKE MOVEI AND I WANT TO IMPROVE MY ENGLISH

HUNGER GAMES
AMERICAN HISTORY X

HI MAZEN,

THANKS FOR POSTING TO THE FORUM.

"AMERICAN HISTORY X" IS AN INTERESTING AND CHALLENGING FILM. I'M THINKING OF SHOWING IT THIS SUMMER IN WEEK FIVE OR SIX.

I'M SURPRISED THAT "INGLORIOUS BASTARDS" IS ONE OF THE FIRST MOVIES YOU REMEMBER SEEING. THAT'S PRETTY RECENT. DID YOU NOT SEE MOVIES IN THEATERS WHEN YOU WERE A YOUNG CHILD?

SEE YOU IN CLASS!

DAVID
Mazen

Postby Khaled1988 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi, I'm Khaled Alenazi. I registered in this class because I like watching movies. Hopefully, this class help me to improve my english.

Unfortunately, I don't remember.
My favorite movie when I was child was Marco. It was series.
My favorite movie now is Gladiator.
Historical, advinture and hirror.
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.?
Densil Washington and Johnny depp.
Because I like watching movies and I hope this class assist me to improve my English.

Thank you

HELLO KHALED,

IT'S INTERESTING TO ME THAT YOU LIST "GLADIATOR" AS A CURRENT FAVORITE MOVIE. ALTHOUGH MOST STUDENTS ENJOY THE FILM, WHEN I'VE SHOWN IT IN CLASS, I LEARN THAT MOST STUDENTS WOULD ALSO PREFER TO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE. I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT THE STORY THAT CAPTURES YOUR PARTICULAR IMAGINATION.

SEE YOU IN CLASS!

DAVID
Khaled1988

Postby Faris » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi everyone,

First, I'm RAED.

horrible bosses.
Lion king.
The Gladiator.
Drama - Action.
Christopher Nolan - Russle Crow - Angelena Jolie and many others.
excited to know more about movies.

HELLO RAED,

THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE FORUM.

IT'S A LONG WAY FROM "LION KING" TO "THE GLADIATOR", BUT THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT THEMES THAT RUN THROUGH BOTH FILMS. I'D LOVE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE.

SEE YOU IN CLASS!

DAVID
Faris

Postby evinpinar » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:32 pm

**Hi guys, I'm Pinar from Turkey. I'm 19 and studying computer engineering in my country. Fantastic and sci-fi movies are my favourite genres, for example I really love Lord of the Rings triology and try watch them as soon as I forget some details. Also It is nice to watch some historical or documentary movies, the ones that show reality. The directors I like are Stanley Kubrick, Tarantino, Jean Pierre Jeunet and Tim Burton. Maybe the reason i like them is they are kind of famous in my "lot" and you can easily find their movies. However I would like to dive deep and find some non famous but good directors too.
**I don't have a favourite movie but as I said before, I like Lord of the rings, Harry Potter,Star wars, 2001 a space odyssey, back to the future... Furthermore, Tim Burton's unrealistic movies sometimes make me feel disconnected from real world. Big Fish, for instance, was a really nice movie with full of fiction.
**I really love the movie musics of Tim Burton-who usually works with Danny Elfman- and John Williams . Also I love the movie themes that are written by Yann Tiersen. I would like to learn more about movie music production(?).
**When I was a child, I used to watch Shrek and Toy Story times and times. I loved pixar movies like "finding nemo" or "a shark tale". You know what, I still love them. :roll: I still love pixar movies. Ratatouille is one of my favourites..
I believe that the first movie I watched on theatre was E.T. as I recall.
**I signed up for this elective because I thought It will be fun to watch some movies and talk about them. :D :D
evinpinar

Previous

Return to Recommended Movies