[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - David's Class - Summer 2013.2: Introductions

David's Class - Summer 2013.2: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

David's Class - Summer 2013.2: Introductions

Postby DavidC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the Movie Elective!

If you have logged into this web site, it means you have successfully registered, and your account has been activated at the MoviesGrowEnglish Forum.

In the second half of the summer quarter, we will focus on American history and culture through the lens of popular movies and television. Please POST/REPLY a few words here about your interest in movies and American history and culture.

If you're not sure what to write, you may answer one or many of the following questions:
1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
3. What is your favorite movie now?
4. What is your favorite movie genre? (Action, Drama, Romantic Comedy, Historical Epic, Western, Horror, etc.)
5. Are there any particular aspects of American culture that interest you? Such as, Baseball, Basketball, Sports in General, Hollywood, New York Finance, Urban Lifestyles, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Midwest, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Freedom of Speech, Equal Rights, the Civil Rights Movement, Multi-Culturalism, Women's Rights, etc. (I will use your answer to this question to help me decide which films to study.)

See you on Monday!

David
DavidC

Re: David's Class - Summer 2013.2: Introductions

Postby Saki1992 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello, David.
I'm Saki. I'm from Japan.

It is the "Stuart Little" or "102."

My favorite movies were "Home Alone" series. I think they are exciting.

Recently, I watched "Les Miserables." I was really moved.

4. What is your favorite movie genre?
It is Comedy. However, I like various genres except horror.

5. Are there any particular aspects of American culture that interest you?
I'm interested in Multi-Culturalism.

Nice to meet you. I'm looking forward to your class!
Saki1992

Postby Ayae2013 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello, David.

I'm sorry that I don't rememver it exactly. It may be a movie of ghibli series.

My favorite movie was "Titanic".

My favorite movie is "The Princess Diaries". It is so romantic!

My favorite movie genre is romantic love story.

I'm interested in Urban Lifestyles and Multi-Culturalism.

I'm looking forward to your class on Monday!
Ayae Maeda
Ayae2013

Postby HECTOR2013 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:15 am

Hi David! This is Héctor, from Spain. Thanks for the welcoming message!
I am an Art Director for films/TV so, I really think I am going to enjoy the subject and hopefully get to know a little more of american culture!

Answering to the given questions, the movie I first saw in a theater it’s probably “Supergirl” (If you have two older sister like I do, you know this things happens! Hahaha). I just looked up the released date, and it was in 1984, so I am pretty sure it’s that one (I was around 8 years or so). And my favorite one, used to be “Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi” I thought that Ewoks’ world was so cool!!! (living on trees and everything…). Today, I like lots of movies, because I watch tones of them! Probably, I could say “Crash”, the one from 2004 () or “Magnolia” (). And on the contrary, If I have to choose a genre as favorite, it would not be drama, its Science Fiction, as if I still were a child!! When I really not know what to watch, boom! I find myself with another Sci-Fi movie on! And if I think it twice (or there is no one left to watch that year ;D) I would probably look for an “historic-looking” one, like “Dangerous Liaisons” () or “magical-world-feeling” like “The Odd Life of Timothy Green” ().
Don’t really know how to explain myself… All that I just said, does it makes sense?
To summarize, films with a strong need of art direction.
See you on Monday!
HECTOR2013

Postby HECTOR2013 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 am

Oops, I forgot the "American Culture Aspect": Hollywood (specially movies that talk of how movies are made) I really enjoy them!
HECTOR2013

Postby goerlin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi, David!
I’m Goer (Mong-Ying Lin), and I’m from Taiwan.

I think the first movie I saw in the theater was Titanic, and it was also my favorite movie when I was young.
I love movies of all genres, don't really have a type though; however, I do enjoy classic movies a lot, The Graduate (1967) is one of my favorite. I love the character Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), and the way she seduced Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman). Also, Memories of Matsuko is a Japanese movie that I really recommend. Although the story is very dark, the director Tetsuya Nakashima made the movie into some sets of musical addition to its strong and colorful scene, which I liked it very much.

I’m happy to join your class, see you on Monday!
goerlin

Postby Atsunori2013 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi, my name is Atsunori. I am from Japan.

It was my first time to be in a theater to see "Yamatotakerunomikoto". But now I can't find the reason why I wanted to see it.

"Terminator 2" was my favorite movie when I was a child.

"Avengers" is my favorite movie now.

4. What is your favorite movie genre? (Action, Drama, Romantic Comedy, Historical Epic, Western, Horror, etc.)

My favorite movie genre is Action.

5. Are there any particular aspects of American culture that interest you? Such as, Baseball, Basketball, Sports in General, Hollywood, New York Finance, Urban Lifestyles, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Midwest, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Freedom of Speech, Equal Rights, the Civil Rights Movement, Multi-Culturalism, Women's Rights, etc. (I will use your answer to this question to help me decide which films to study.)

I am interested in Civil rights movement and capitalism(New York Finance?).

See you tomorrow.
Atsunori2013

Postby Chika 2013 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello David! I'm Chika from Japan . Nice to meet you.

Actyally , I'm not sure about it. But it may be Disney(Pixar) movie.
It was "Harry Potter"!!! I watched again and again.
I have a lot of favorite movies... "Flowers of Algernon" "The Sixth Sense" "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" "Edward Scissorhands" and so on.
My favorite genre is "suspense".
I'm interested in multiracial nation.. (because Japan is a ethnically homogeneous nation state...)

See you tomorrow. Thank you.
Chika 2013

Postby alice03015 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi, this is Alice. I'M from China.
I like Romantic movies which have happy ending. I remember my favorite movie when I was a child that is "Titanic" even though it was not happy ending. Last time I watched "Despicable ME 2" that is so interesting. See you Monday :D
alice03015

Postby risa0525 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi David ! This is Risa. I am from Japan. I am so sorry that I am replying to you now because I had difficulty with this, but this time I was able to sign in this page.
As far as I remember, the movie I watched in a theater was The Incredibles. I like all the sort of movies except for science fiction. My favorite movies are The Hangover, which is pretty funny, the series of Twilight, even though everyone says the novels are better, and Angela and Demons, although it is not about America.
I am interested in American urban life and American food culture, because it is quite different from my county's. We usually don't eat pizza, pasta, a hamburger, fries or something like this.

I am glad to take part in your class.
I really enjoy it !

Risa
risa0525

Next

Return to Recommended Movies