Mad About Movies - Fall 2013.1: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Mad About Movies - Fall 2013.1: Introductions

Postby DavidC » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 am

Welcome to the Movie Elective!

If you have logged into this web site, it means you have successfully registered, and your account has been activated at the MoviesGrowEnglish Forum.

Please POST/REPLY a few words here about your interest in movies. If you're not sure what to write, you can answer these questions:

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
3. What is your favorite movie now?
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?

Also, please examine the movie list you received in class and include in your POST/REPLY five movie recommendations (ones you'd like to see) from the list. Choose movies from at least three different genres. You can read about the listed movies at the first page of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com. (Scroll down the page for individual movie links.)

If you have a question, please e-mail me at teacherchrisman@gmail.com or ask another student.

I hope you enjoy the class!

David Chrisman
DavidC

Re: Mad About Movies - Fall 2013.1: Introductions

Postby Lucas1988 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi, i'm Lucas and I'm from Brazil. I don't know for sure what was the first movie that i saw on a theater, but maybe it was Batman against the joker, i always liked movies but the first movie that i really liked was Home Alone with Macaulay Culkin, i think i saw this movie more than 20 times when i was a kid.
I have a lot of favorite movies, its very difficult to say one, but i liked Inlgorius Basterds a lot and my favorite brazilian movie is City of God. I don't have a favorite genre, i like action, sci-fi, drama, comedy and thriller movies, but if i have to choose one it can be action.
My favorite actor is Brad Pitt, i don't know why he never won an Oscar and for actress i'll choose Natalie Portman and my favorite director is the legend Steven Spilberg.
I sign for this lecture because i love to see movies and i think its a good way for learn new vocabulary and improve the ascent too, and i can learn enjoying.

5 movies:
Forrest Gump
Argo
Dark Knight
The Rock
Into the Wild
Lucas1988

Postby Allison1415 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi! I am Mengwei Li and I come from Beijing, China. I prefer to be called Allison because people pronounce my name weird sometimes. The first movie I watched in a theater called Perhaps, Love. It is a typical Chinese romance movie with elements of opera. Those amazing scenes and touching lines shocked me just like the bullet made of roses. When I was a child, Stephen Chow Sing Chi definitely is my favorite actor because of all the comedies he played. However, my favorite actor changed when I grow up. Natalie Portman and Johnny Depp are my favorites right now. It might be a sign that I become more mature that I can appreciate the attraction of sadness. For this reason, my favorite movie is V for Vendetta. I am totally into the Thriller movies because I always find the deep disenchantment of human’s heart in those movies. I sign up for this elective because of my passion for movies. I hope that we can learn how to express the meaning of movies in English and the American culture context of American movies.

5 movies I choose: A Beautiful Mind, Black Swan, Inception, The King's Speech, V for Vendetta
Allison1415

Postby HyeonminHan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi. I'm Hyeonmin Han and I come from Korea. Please just call me 'Min' because my name is hard to pronounce. The first movie I saw in a theater is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone & Sorcerer's Stone. I saw it when I was 7 and really shocked by its scene. After than, I was become a huge fan of Harry Potter. When I was young my favorite actors are Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe. Now one actor is add to list. He is Johnny Depp. I saw him Pirates of Carribean and when movie was finished, I became his fan. Watching movie is one of my favorite hobby. Therefore I signed up for this elective. I hope we can learn about American context in the movie and learn how to express about movie in English. My favorite genre is SF. I hope I can learn lots of things from this elective.

5 movies: 21, 2012, Contact, The Hunger game, The Rock,
HyeonminHan

Postby marinanunes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi, my name is Marina and I’m from Brazil.
I’ve spent most of my childhood watching VHS tapes, in particular Disney movies like Aladdin, Lion King and Pinocchio. My first experience in a theater was in 2003, when I watched Chicago, by Rob Marshall. After going there, I remember buying the VHS tape so that I could keep watching Chicago at home. Soon, it became one of my favorite movies.
Today I’m not that into musicals. To be honest, I don’t know exactly what genre is my favorite, but I really enjoy mystery, sci-fi, drama and crime movies. In my opinion, The Godfather trilogy is one of the best movies ever and, as a fan of Coppola, it is obvious that my favorite actor/actress are Al Pacino and Winona Ryder, who was great in Dracula.
The reason I’ve signed up for this elective is because I’m truly passionate about movies. I feel that this is a great opportunity to learn more about the American culture and also to widen my vocabulary and movie background.

My recommendations from the list are:
1. Erin Brockovich
2. Truman Show
3. American Beauty
4. Casablanca
5. Prometheus
marinanunes

Postby eman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi

My name is Eman and I'm from Saudi Arabia, I don't really remember what was the first movie I've watched in the theater but "A walk to remember" back in 2003, made me tear up and I don't usually cry during movies, I still go back every now and then and watch this movie without getting bored.

I believe "home alone" was my favorite childhood movie and seeing it now on TV brings so many great memories. It's hard to choose one movie but I currently love few movies such as The great Gatsby, The notebook, The hunger games, life of Pi, mean girls..

I guess my favorite movie genre are Comedy, romance, horror, thriller.
To be honest I don't really have favorite actors or actresses, however Johnny Deep, Angelina Julie, Will Smith are the actors that I immediately go watch their newest movies!
I chose this elective because its name "mad about movies" got my attention since I love and enjoy watching movies, besides learning English through movies is really interesting, beneficial, and fun.

The movies that I would like to see are:
Black swan
The social network
adjustment bureau
eman

Postby alcmoviekim » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 pm

. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?

Hi. I`m Jongho Kim. My first movie I remember is Lion King, Aladin, disney animation. Because of that memory, I still like Disney animation.

My favorite movie is "500 days of summer" now. It took a picture in the L.A, and it makes us to think about what is love. I don`t have favorite actor or director.

Just I like a movie, what make me feel warm. I don`t like horror, gore movie.

What I want to see is....
1.Avatar, 2.Devil wears Prada, 3. Forest Gump, 3.The Hangover, 4. Hugo, 5. V for Vendetta

Sorry to late~ See u tomorrow :)
alcmoviekim

Postby fengyu1989 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:12 am

My name is FENGYU LIU, and i am from China. I don't remember what was the first movie in the theater,but what i recall is my favorite movies is " THE MATRIX" when i was a kid.
Right now, my favorite is " THE AVENGERS". There are many super hero and famous actors act in the one movies, it makes me exciting and unforgettable. Obviously, my favorite actor is Robert Downey Jr. I like watch science fiction, fantasy and scary movies. I think this class could be fun and i can learn American culture and idioms through watching movies.

Five movies list

AMERICAN BEAUTY
BLACK SWAN
CLOUD ATLAS
RATATOUILLE
V FOR VENDETTA
fengyu1989

Postby koheiohashi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 am

Hi, my name is Kohei from Tokyo, Japan.

Sorry. I completely forget.

Pokemon

Back to the future

Comedy

Michael J. Fox, Jackie Chan, Akira Kurosawa

I really like watching movie with English subtitle and it is good for improving my English skill.

5 movies list
Avator
American Beauty
Forest Gump
Toy Story 3
Last edited by koheiohashi on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
koheiohashi

Postby Amy1735 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am

Hi I'm Amy(Yuling Liao) and I'm from Taiwan.
Here's my opinions,

The Titanic (1997) might be the first movie I remember seeing in a theater. I remembered this is also the first time I cried in the cinema. Not only the context of the movie but also the composition of the background music had impressed me a lot.

The Disney Animations such as Aladdin, Lion King, The Beauty and The Beast...etc.

The Great Gatsby might be my favorite movie recently. Especially the soundtracks from the movie.

I like drama romance, action, sci-fi, comedy romance.

Meryl Streep/Emma Watson/ Hugh Jackman/Rober Downey Jr.

I think this is a great opportunity to know the different concept of the movie from another angle. Moreover, it's great to have chance to share the ideas with others who have similiar or opposite conclusions from the movie.

5 movies:
Black swan
Devil Wears Prada
Inception
Enchanted
The Social Network
Amy1735

Next

Return to Recommended Movies