Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Introductions

Postby DavidC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:05 am

Welcome to the Movie Elective!

If you have logged into this web site, it means you have successfully registered, and your account has been activated at the MoviesGrowEnglish Forum.

Please POST/REPLY a few words here about your interest in movies. If you're not sure what to write, you can answer these questions:

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
3. What is your favorite movie now?
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?

Also, please examine the movie list you received in class and include in your POST/REPLY five movie recommendations (ones you'd like to see) from the list. Choose movies from at least three different genres. You can read about the listed movies at the first page of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com. (Scroll down the page for individual movie links.)

If you have a question, please e-mail me at teacherchrisman@gmail.com or ask another student.

I hope you enjoy the class!

David Chrisman
DavidC

Re: Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Introductions

Postby Mason2014 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi, I am Mason. I like watching movies since it's a good way to understand a culture.
In the movie list, I am interested in The Prestige, Inception, The King's Speech, and Wall Street:$$ Never Sleeps.
Also, because of my background, I would like to watch a legal drama such as Runaway Jury or Enin Brockovich.
I have watched The Prestige, which is one of my favorite movies, but I watched it with Chinese subtitles.
It will be great if we can learn some useful and interesting terms in American movies.
Thanks for reading!
Mason2014

Postby Basma » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 pm

My first movie I saw in a theater is Herbie! And my favorite movie when I was a child is Home Alone. My favorite movie now is Divergent. The kinds of genre that I like in movies are action, horror, and comedy drama. My favorite actor is Bradley Cooper and my favorite actress is jennifer lawrence. I signed for this course because I like to watch movies and to learn more english. I hope this course will be enjoyable.
Basma

Postby flaviavieira1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:50 am

Hello!
The fist movie I've seen when I was a kid was probably a Disney one. Honestly, I don't remember... The Sound of Music was and still is one of my favorites of all times! I have some on my list, like American History X, Legends of the Fall, Requiem for a Dream just to mention some. I like mostly drama and suspense. Cate Blanchet, Meryl Streep and Daniel Day-Lewis. I signed-up for this class because since I'm having a lot of reading and writing classes I wanted something refreshing and enjoyable for me for at least some hours a week, since I really, really like movies.

Thank you. =)
flaviavieira1

Postby Hideaki Hara » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi, my name is Hideaki Hara. I am happy to be able to study at Mr Chrisman's class with all great students from different countries.

I am interested in Woody Allen's films. I checked almost all movies he shoot during this decade. So I was really happy to see his work at the first class. Like the one wee checked on Thursday, he used to write stories about people in NY. However, recently he started to write about how Americans behave in a different culture. Paris, London, Madrid, Rome...You can feel like traveling those cities by his films. I hope Woody Allen will make a film in Tokyo in the future.
Hideaki Hara

Postby Dareen91 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Hey, my name is Dareen. Since we don't have theaters where I came from, the first movie I saw in theater was in 2006 in Malaysia and it was "Lady in the Water" it was a horrible and I HATED HATED HATED it. My favorite movie when I was a child is "The Sound of Music" and of course all Disney's movies specially "Aladdin". I don't have a favorite movie for the moment, but my all time favorite movie is "The Count of Monte Cristo" I hope we can watch it together in the class. I don't have a favorite genre as long as it has a good script. My favorite actor/actress changes from time to time depending on what I'm watching, but these days I'm loving Neil Patrick Harris. I signed up for this class because I found movies and TV shows is a great and fun way to learn English (this is how I really learned English), and also I'm "mad" about movies.
For the movies I'd like to watch on the list, any movie as long as it is not about space

Note from Mike the Moderator: Thanks Dareen, and thanks everyone for posting here at MoviesGrowEmglish. I've taught the movie elective with David at UCLA, and he always delivers an exciting and informative learning platform, and YES, your English is sure to grow as you become more familiar with movies. Dareen, I completely agree that most great films start with a great script. This is probably the single most crucial element in a movie. The greatest actor in the world, even Neil Patrick Harris, needs great lines to deliver to the camera. And from these great lines of real English emerges our improved language skills . . . Oh, I could just keep on going. Anyway, let's hand the wand back to David, my esteemed colleague, and here's wishing you all a great "Mad about Movies" class!

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:

Neil Patrick Harris
Dareen91

Postby ReemAlruwaili » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Reem and I signed for this class because Movies are my best friend! *joking*
The truth is I've been watching movies my whole life, and I believe it's sad how people look at movies as just entertainment because they can be more than just that. They can be inspiring, educational, and a portal to the world - you can see and learn about the whole world and its cultures -
anyhow, I hope I enjoy and learn through this class with all of you guys.

P.S. about my movie recommendations I have no discrimination against movies, anything will do :)
Take Care,
Reem
ReemAlruwaili

Postby Ahmed algaid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi everyone, I am Ahmed.
I talk this electives because I like to watch movie and to learn in same time.
I like comedy and horror movie, I do not remember what was the first movie.
The best actor in my opinion is Al Pacino.
My favorite movie now is need for speed.

Thank you
Ahmed algaid

Postby Mahmoud1995 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello guys I am Mahmoud

The first movie that I have seen in a theater I think it was 300 Rise of an Empire. And my favorite movie when I was a kid was The Lion King. I don't like a specific movie genre I just watch movies for fun. I joined the Mad about movie class because I had no idea about how people make movies. I, first, thought it was so simple that people just needed a camera and some acting knowledge and that's it. But now I have changed my mind about it and I started liking the idea of how people make movies.
Mahmoud1995

Postby JoshJosh1122 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Hello, every one!! I am Josh.

I have been very interested in action movies since I was a child, and action movies always makes me feel excited. I also like to watch a scary movie at night although I am not scared by the movie plot, I am often scared by sudden sound, scary movies still are the one of my favorite movie genre. In addition, I like comedy with underlying connotation, people can get positive notion by seeing the comedy. CLICK which was published in 2006 makes me very impressive. CLICK make me have different idea about family and job.
JoshJosh1122

Next

Return to Recommended Movies