Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Preferences & Suggestions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Preferences & Suggestions

Postby DavidC » Thu May 01, 2014 10:17 am

Please suggest areas of American culture &/or history you are interested in.

For example, areas of American culture include HOLLYWOOD, WALL STREET, LOS ANGELES, NEW YORK, LOVE & MARRIAGE, RACE RELATIONS, YOUTH CULTURE, MUSIC (CLASSICAL, JAZZ, ROCK, POP), POLITICAL LIFE, SPORTS (BASKETBALL, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, TRACK & FIELD, BOXING, HOCKEY, GOLF), MILITARY LIFE, CRIME & POLICE, MEDICINE, FAMILY LIFE, RELIGION, etc., and areas of American history include the REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD, the CIVIL WAR, WWII, the VIETNAM WAR, the GULF WAR, 911 & the WAR ON TERRORISM, the GREAT DEPRESSION, the 19th CENTURY WEST, the 1960's, the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT, etc.

These examples are just suggestions. Please add anything else you'd like to learn about.

I'll use your suggestions to choose the movies for the second half of the quarter.

Thank you.
DavidC

Re: Mad About Movies - Spring 2014.1: Preferences & Suggesti

Postby Ahmed algaid » Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Hello everyone
I suggeste movies are about the American Revolution, because it is important historical stage which can find out how the United States originated and how it became to be the first in all areas around the world.
Another suggeste is a movies about U.S. policy and its relationship with the different countries, where you can see the strong influence and political weight for U.S.
Ahmed algaid

Postby aslihanozcan » Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I suggest that watching some kind of festival or awarded movies that makes the spectators think about their life and decisions ın that class. Actually I prefer movies about art, ballet, sculpture or the biographies of artists. Because I want to watch movies that makes me realize something about my values and makes me find something about my life. I hope my classmates agree with me.
Thanks,
aslihanozcan

Postby Hideaki Hara » Thu May 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi everyone! Yesterday was the last class for me. I really miss the class.

If I can give my suggestion to you, I would like to say that movies have power to be able to change the world. "Change the world" sounds too dramatic, but I think it is. Any kind of movies, even commercial movies have some kind of impact to our society. For example, about 60 years ago, the first movie which includes a kiss seen was made and showed in my country. It was just about love. However, it was sensational event in Japan at that time. Young people were encouraged that they could enjoy their youth as movie suggested.

I personally like to see movies based on true stories. Music of heart, the Help,Milk... One person can change the world, I learn that from those movies. If one person try hard to change a society, a lot of nameless people support them. That is a beauty of this country, I think. So, I hope you will eyewitness it by watching movies in next 5 weeks.

If you are interested in Japan, please check Last Samurai! My class mate had played a small role in there! He lives in Hollywood, I am looking forward to seeing him again.
Hideaki Hara

Postby Mason2014 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi I am Mason.
I would like to learn something about the interaction of teenagers in their family and school lives.
I think those are not easy to read in the books.
Mason2014

Postby Aziz Almutairi 1992 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:11 pm

All movies that were suggested above are amazing :D :D :lol:
Aziz Almutairi 1992

Postby Dareen91 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:22 am

America has an interesting history, any subject would get my attention. However, if I'm going to choose one subject, I would go with the slavery in America. How did it begin? Who gave them the right to do it? and how did it end?
Dareen91

Postby Mahmoud1995 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I would rather watching science fiction movies not only because of their imaginative part but also because they may some day become reality. I also like watching actioj movies because they keep the watcher suspended and thrilled .
Mahmoud1995

Postby ReemAlruwaili » Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello,
Well, last week was my last. however, I did enjoy the last five weeks in the "Mad about Movies class". Anyways, I think watching movies about the civil rights movements will be very interesting, especially women rights. Also, it would be nice to know if there is a relationship between science today and sci-fiction movies.

Thank you,
Have a nice one.
ReemAlruwaili

Return to Recommended Movies