Mad About Movies - Summer 2014.1: Introductions

PLEASE SAY HELLO! Which country and city are you from? Are you a teacher or a student? What kind of movies do you like? What do you think of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com? Thank you!

Mad About Movies - Summer 2014.1: Introductions

Postby DavidC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 am

Welcome to the Mad About Movies!

If you have logged into this web site, it means you have successfully registered, and your account has been activated at the MoviesGrowEnglish Forum.

Please POST/REPLY a few words here about your interest in movies. If you're not sure what to write, you can answer these questions:

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
3. What is your favorite movie now?
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?

Also, please examine the movie list you received in class and include in your POST/REPLY five movie recommendations (ones you'd like to see) from the list. Choose movies from at least three different genres. You can read about the listed movies at the first page of http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com. (Scroll down the page for individual movie links.)

If you have a question, please e-mail me at teacherchrisman@gmail.com or ask another student.

I hope you enjoy the class!
DavidC

Re: Mad About Movies - Summer 2014.1: Introductions

Postby Terry1991 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Hello ! It's Terry,

In my country I'm TV/movie producer and location manager so useless to say how much I love movies. As far as the questions are concerned :
The first movie I saw in a theater was Mr. Bean
My favorite movie when I was a child was Short Circuit (1986)
My favorite movies now are Rocky Balboa (six of them)
I like comedies as scifi or thriller movies.
My favorite actor is Bryan Crasnton, unfornuately we can't often see him in movies. So if I needed to choose a "movie actor" I'd say Leonardo DiCaprio.
I choose this elective because I'd like to apply for the producing certificate at UCLA, so it could help me to improve the specific vocabulary about movie and also introduces me the movie analyse in English.

I like from the movie list :

Super Size Me (doc)
Dark Knight (drama)
Inception (action drama)
Rain Man (drama family)
The Social Network (drama bio)

My personal recommandations : The Green Mile (1999), The Departed (2006), Shutter Island (2010), Bruce Almighty (2003), Groundhog Day (1993)

Thank you :)

Hi Terry-- I'm mike the site moderator. Just want to say welcome aboard and thanks for your contributions. I know David personally. I can tell you he's a great teacher and lover of movies. You'll have loads of fun and learn tons of English in his class while doing what you love to do. (David, let me know if you want me to tone down the rhetoric. :{ )

BTW Groundhog Day is on the movie list too. Wonder if you or anyone here has seen Edge of Tomorrow (similar concept). Cheers.
Terry1991

Postby Kevser21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello I'm Kevser :)

The reason I signed in for this class is because I love watching movies. And also I think that I have improved my English with movies a great deal. And I hope this will continue in this course.

1. As far as I remember my first movie in a theatre was "The emperior's new groove"
2. When i was younger my favourite movie was " Ocean's 11" (actually it was the whole Ocean's serie :) )
3. My favourite movies now are "Fast and Furious 5" and "The blind Side"
4. My favourite generes are Comedy and Action.
5. There are lots of actors I love out there. But Sandra Bullock and Vin Diesel are my favourite :)

Those would be the movies I'd like to watch:
1.John Carter (sci-fi/action)
2. V for Vendetta (drama politics)
3. Pulp Fiction ( comedy crime)
4. Deep Blue Sea ( action science)
5. Blood Diamond ( drama adventure)
Kevser21

Postby Eugenia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi, I’m Eugenia!

I decided to sign up for this elective, because I believe, that learning english through watching movies is a perfect way to improve your vocabulary.
I love watching movies, some of my favorites: «Midnight in Paris», «Breakfast at Tiffany’s», «What happens in Vegas», «Fight Club». Depending on my mood, I love different genres, but mostly I prefer comedies and drama romances.
It’s hard to remember, but I think the first movie I've ever seen in the theatre was the cartoon «Mulan». When I was a child my favorite movie was «It takes two», because I also have twin sister. :)
I really enjoy watching movies of Woody Allen and Darren Aronofsky.

From the list of movies I would like to watch:
Rain Man
I love you man
V for Vendetta
Adjustment Bureau
Groundhog Day

Thank you! ;)
Eugenia

Postby Hiroki83 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:25 am

Hi! My name is Hiroki Nomura. I'm 23,came from Japan.
The reason why I study English here is to prepare for my master degree for film producing.

Let me answer the questions to enhance my introducing;

1. What is the first movie you remember seeing in a theater?
"Jurassic Park"
2. What was your favorite movie when you were a child?
"STAR WARS" and "The God Father".
3. What is your favorite movie now?
Fellini's "La Strada" and "Cold Soul"
4. What is your favorite movie genre?
Anything! I'm a Cinefil!
5. Who is your favorite actor/actress/director, etc.
My favorite actor is Paul Giamatti. Actress is Amy Adams. And The most respect film director is Steven Spielberg.
6. Why did you sign up for this elective and what do you hope it will be like?
To watch movies those I've never see before. And also the movies is the most efficient textbook for teaching me ENGLISH!

Films what I would like to see in our classes from the list are Across the Universe,Almost Famous,American History !,Contact,Deep Blue Sea,Enhanced,Into the Wild,It Happened One Night,Last of the Mohicans,Limitless,Much Ado About Nothing,Pushing Tin, Rain Man, The Third Man, Training Day and Without a Paddle.

Nice to see you all!
Hiroki83

Postby YukaInoue » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi!
I'm Yuka :)

The first movie I watched in theater must be a Japanese cartoon movie(when I was a child)
But the first foreign movie is Dark Knight!

My favorite movie when I was young was The Terminator2!
Despite my age, I thought it was super cool..:)

My favorite movie for now is Howl's moving castel.
It's mysterious but also very profound!
I love movies of studio Ghibli.

My favorite genre is human drama and romance :)
Touching movies.

I don't really have a specific favorite actor.

My recommend movies are...
The pursuit of happyness(drama)
The Notebook(romance)
TED(comedy)
her(SF romance)
Scott Pirgrim vs the world(comedy)

For me, it's hard to understand foreign movies completely because of the language, but I'd like to discover great movies i haven't met.
And I want to understand the message of the movies so that I can catch it.
That's the main reason I took this class!
YukaInoue

Return to Recommended Movies