[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

Postby maikuu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 pm

:oops: :? :lol: :?: :o :cry: :idea: :mrgreen: :oops: :D :D ;) :roll:

P.S. Several students have asked my opinion of ADJUSTMENT BUREAU. IMHO the movie has a powerful way of making us think about our destiny and who controls it. It seems to me there are three possibilities: a higher power, chance, or me. I don't know much about the first two, but I feel that I have some control over the third possibility if, as several students wrote, I fight for it. But even this third possibility could be an illusion designed to appease my ego. If you saw the MATRIX trilogy, you may recall that it also explored this theme. So I may have no control of my destiny at all, even if I think I do. But that's not going to stop me from trying, just in case. --mike
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

Postby Daniel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi, this is Daniel(Xiaodong Qian).

It
Daniel

Postby luanxuan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:04 am

Hi Mike,
This is Alisa.
<The ADJUSTMENT BUREAU> is a good movie to discuss who control our destiny.
In my opinion, I think there are some high power to arrange people's life.
Maybe much people think this is impossible,because we do anything from our own thoughts or ideas in our daily life.
is that truth?I think it's no.
We just can control our brain to chose someone I want ,but we cannot control our emotion to chose someone I love.
love is a feeling,it always happen at a moment .
I think it is some high power give this feeling to us,you can discover you always love a person suddenly.
Just because these sudden feelings,the high power can control our action and change our destiny.
So,I would love to believe the high power can give me a special life.

Teacher's Note: Thanks for some nice romantic thoughts. Good vocabulary; basic subject-verb agreement needs work. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :idea:
luanxuan

Postby YUJIAHUI » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 pm

HI,Mike.I'm Emma...:)
About this movie ...Hmm...I think..

If two guys love each other,no matter what happend, they will try their best to be together,regardless of any consequences.

And according to this movie,the adjustment bureau is just like an observer, they watch the world to make sure everything is on its track.That means if the things not on the track,the planner want to be change.

Elise is a beautiful dancer, if Dave with her, Elise will teach kids dancing, rather than becoming one of the world famous choreographer. For Dave, he wants to be the focus of the politician, which the Elise can not help him.

What will the be the two guys choose?

They chose to be together,and finally they success.

The true love can defeat(ing) the destiny!

Teacher's Note: Thanks for a really nice post. Good GPS. The tone is a bit informal. I would avoid using "guys" in academic writing. Overall, good job. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:
YUJIAHUI

Postby furydino » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi~ Mike. I'm EungGyun Kang(Daniel) :mrgreen:

When i rewatched The Adjustment Bureau, I was especially impressed by last speech of Harry's.

"Most people live lifeon the path we set for them.

Too afraid to explore any other.

But once in a while, people like you come along who knock down all the obstacles we put in your way.

People who realize free will is a gift you'll never know how to use until you fight for it.

I think that's the Chairman's real plan that mabe one day we won't write the plan.

You will"

This speech make me feel this movie refer to what.

Is our destiny chosen by a higher power?, or do we choose our destiny?

All decisions depend on me since I own my life.

What do you think true freewill is?

True freewill is doing thing that i truly want to do.

Is it true that your "freewill" is controlled by highpower?

I don't want to believe that highpower controll the my path of life.

I wish that our own life should only be chosen by myself eventhough highpower is still in existence.

Anyway.

I want to choose my life.

Teacher's Note: I like your idea that we have free will in as much as we fight for it. Otherwise, destiny chooses us. I think this is pretty close to the truth. Please pay attention to small GPS errors. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :?
furydino

Postby james son » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 pm

hi mike~~ i'm joonbae son (james)
I actually didn't understand all it. But I am going to write just my opinion.
I was so impressed with the movie. Because I've never seen the movie like this story.
Is it really true that any power exists above our wii? I thought about it right after finishing the movie.
I think it's not true. We can make our path in own life and we will be our will.
There is no future we can expect. So nobody knows about the future.
We've just got to do whatever you want.

Teacher's Note: Thanks for expressing your opinion. This is a fairly sophisticated film, and it's not easy to respond to it in a second language. I'd like you to use this exercise as a bench mark for developing your skill at expressions of logic. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
james son

Postby akirash.26 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi Mike,
This is Akira.

I really like this movie. I will watch again. This is my opinion. I think we can choose our destiny. First of all, I do not want to believe destiny. This is because, I would like to choose destiny myself. No one can make my destiny. I am going to decide myself in my future. I can make my road. Some people say you cannot choose your destiny. But I think we can choose our destiny if you can believe yourself strongly. Thus, we can choose our destiny. Our destiny is not chosen by a higher power. However, sometimes we cannot choose our destiny. For example, traffic accident, disaster, illness, death. This is big problem, which means no one wants to expect it. But I would like to say, perhaps, If we can believe ourselves, we could avoid these bad destiny. Therefore, we can choose our destiny.

Thank you.

Teacher's Note: And thank you. This essay is on a good logical path, but there seems to be a little contradiction which can be fixed in the use of modals and quantifiers. e.g. use the word "usually" before the word "can". Thanks much for posting. Good GPS. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :x
akirash.26

Postby JiaweiZhang » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Mike
This is Dennis[jiaweizhang]
l think ,we should choose destiny by myself .
whatever you want ,whatever you do ,just do it ! This is my opinion .
But ,sometimes we can not choose something , like 'doom' ?'husand [wife]' etc
This is destined to be ...
So ,l think :we should put the immediate things well [study] ,it's our destinies !
In the future ,a lot of things are waiting for ours ...
That's all
Thank you ! :D

Teacher's Note: Thanks for posting. This essay needs some work on GPS. Also, more detail and more thought in the logic. Even so, this is a good start. Keep writing.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :D
JiaweiZhang

Postby gengyichao » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi,Mike?I am GENG YICHAO Mike
According to American science fiction writer Philip Dick 's novel , the story to explore is whether we can control their own destiny , we control the destiny or controlled by fate. :lol: :lol:
This is a very good movie , I like it.
In the movies if actor and actress together,she would lose her a better future. So David choose to leave her, but then David knows Elise will be married, he felt that if not to rob back my love, he will regret it in his life , their own efforts to change the status quo, even if he will lose all the existing ,also want with actress together, we can see from the movie actor David through the efforts to change their destiny to find my own love. Destiny is in his own hand,should not be dominate by fate. :D :D :Dthankyou

Teacher's Note: This essay has some strong ideas, but there is a need to improve the GPS and the logic. I would focus on those pronouns as well. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
gengyichao

Postby chungil lee » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi mike. this is Chungil Lee
I saw The Adjustment Bureau again. I think if I have this situation, I make our destiny. I do not want to receive from some people control. It is my life. However, some people appear what I teach my way. That is no meaning in my future. Nobody knows what happen to tomorrow, but people don't afraid of future. Because If I know future that is very boring life. I don
chungil lee

Next

Return to Movie Reports