[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - PROMETHEUS

PROMETHEUS

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

PROMETHEUS

Postby TheresaQ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:40 pm

I saw Prometheus last week in I-max 3-D. I am 8 so It was really scary to me. I think kid should not see this movie. This group of people are finding Who created human beans. They use this ship called Prometheus. They go to this place right next to Saturn, that’s were they find where human beans were made. Then they see this cave/house, then they go inside and scary things and weird things happen. One of the charters name is Charlie Sterone, she was also known in Snow White and the huntsman. “Get ready for Prometheus. It is really scary” :o :shock: :?
[img]/Users/maikuu/Desktop/T's%20Avatar.jpg[/img]
TheresaQ

Re: PROMETHEUS

Postby maikuu » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 am

:twisted: :roll: :x :mrgreen: :lol: ;) :D :oops: :shock: :cry: :ugeek: :roll: :lol:
maikuu
Site Admin

Postby fal1986 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello everyone,
I have to say that I have expected that this movie would actually be far more better. First,the movie did not answer the most important and significant qustion about who created human beings.Even if these space creatures have created us which they did not, why did they attack the humans? I think it is simply to add more action and suspence to the movie. Second, this movie is an another ordinary alien movie because there is nothing new in it. I think that the creator of us humans is far more superior than just an alien who lives in a far away planet, which brings me to my point when i said that this movie did not bring its goal, and that goal is that this movie has had a huge question which has failed to answer. Though, it has succeeded in advertisment only.
Fahad.

Teacher's Note: This author is not alone in noticing that Prometheus comes up short in answering humanity's most important question. Could be Ridley Scott will, in the upcoming sequel, offer a more satisfying answer to the question he raises. Contact (Robert Zemeckis) is another film that touches on this topic but takes a safer tack and only addresses the question of whether or not we are alone in the universe. I hope this opinion piece will initiate a lively conversation about a controversial movie. Big thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :ugeek:
fal1986

Postby mezo5 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I enjoyed it but it had a lot of plot gaps. For example, near the end of the film Elizabeth Shaw's life support informs her she has 30 seconds of oxygen left. She enters the smaller craft, meets the big alien thingy and the bald human/alien thingy. She leaves the craft putting her helmet back on. I'm not 100 percent sure if it's the same helmet she used before but if it is she seems to have an infinite supply of oxygen!

Another big plot gap: Shaw doesn't tell anyone - Peter Weyland included - that she was pregnant, that she removed the alien parasite from her body, that she left it in the medical bay, that she trapped it in the operating chamber. Wouldn't this be of vital importance to the mission? An alien life form on the craft, possibly still alive and worthy of further analysis?! But nope, she doesn't mention it to anyone and the crew go back down to the planet to find out why the bald alien bloke hates humans.

Another slight leap of plot credibility is the ship doesn't have any weapons. I understand the ship was an exploration vehicle not a combat vehicle however it did seem slightly strange to think the only way the Prometheus could stop another ship was by smashing into it.

And perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the film is why no explanation is given why the bald alien/human - who we are to assume was 'first generation' human created us, 'second generation' humans, but decided to kill us. We're teased with some dialogue like "I have to know why?" but it felt a bit pointless. The whole film built up to a bit of a pointless conclusion. Some alien created us but then decided to kill us. How bizarre!

And the very first scene when the bald alien gets broken up and falls into the river doesn't seem to make any sense. I don't get why that happened.

Anyway, I enjoyed it but who knows what much of the plot was about. Felt like the screenwriters made it up as they went along.

mezo5

Teacher's Note: Some insightful script analysis here. What I found most illogical about the script was when Elizabeth Shaw walks into a chamber (after her operation) and finds Peter Weyland alive and well, and nobody reacts to this shocking surprise, including her. I felt that the first part of that scene got cut off.

As for why the aliens want to kill us, it is pretty clear to me by inference that they realize that we are also one of their monsters, and we must be destroyed before we do something terribly evil. If you could imagine yourself as an alien looking down on the Earth over time, what would you think of the human race? (Just my two cents.) Thanks for a hugely thoughtful post!
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :(
mezo5

Postby mingyeong » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

This movie seemed quite interesting for me. Especially in the first half part which used lots of creative settings including weird shaped tumbs with black liquid inside made me so excited to see the rest [second] half part of the movie. However, the second part had a lot of cruel scenes such as bursting out images which made almost all of us feel disgusted. The overall message this movie tried tell was the reason why mankind was born. Who made us and why did they make us? The result assumed in the movie was a little bit bored [boring].

Of course I agree with the existence of aliens out the globe; however, I expected some other creative or imaginable answers. If i should pick just one saying told in the movie that is the most persuasive, I would pick the theory(?) that saying the aliens made us because it was possible. Mankind have been tried to make robots because it seemed to be possible. As I see, there isn't that motivated reason for human to make robots. If that can be the answer for us, i think it's better to try to find the answer from the aliens than just staying on Earth.

In the same way, the last scene that showed the last crew determined to go find the creator was not bad. Rather than this kind of realistic and well-known theory, maybe I might have expected some idea like "Inception" or "Fighter club", which were more focused on close surroundings of us or just ourselves than the out-side of this world where we are living now. Maybe the vast space that is being observed right now can be just an illusion. I would expect another plot with wider scope.

Teacher's Note: Thanks for expressing your views from a more philosophical pov. I remember as a kid, I would look up at the stars on a really dark night, and after staring for a few seconds, I would become overwhelmed at the infinity of the universe. Perhaps Ridley Scott has chosen to ask a question whose answer is so profound and unknowable that we have to remind ourselves it's only a movie created by a fellow human. How could he possibly give us a satisfying answer? Nice essay.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :?:
mingyeong

Postby Edouard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Hello :)
I found this movie okay, if I had to rate it I would give it 3/5 stars. I have seen the others Aliens (Alien, Aliens & Alien 3) movies before, and this movie does not stuck with the Alien's story at my taste. It would be great that Ridley Scott focused more on the origin and creation of the Aliens. The idea that Aliens came from a biological weapon, which turn[s] against its creators, is a bit weak.. However, there are really good actors in this movie such as Michael Fassbender, playing the role of the cyborg David, or Noomi Rapace, playing the role of Elizabeth Shaw; and the movie contains beautiful scenes and landscapes.
There is also some hidden critics inside, such as the use of biological weapons during wars and the fact that human beings are attracted by money.

Teacher's Note: I am most interested in the final comment about "hidden critics inside". I'm not sure what it refers to, but I'd like to hear more about it. As for ratings, IMDb has it at 7.3/10 (206,000 responses), Rotten Tomatoes had a 74% favorable rating. It may be important to remember that these results are among persons who chose to see Prometheus. They were probably favorably disposed from the beginning. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
Edouard

Postby feng.lai » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 pm

:D
hi everyone

I very enjoy this film [enjoyed this film very much], but it is not perfect as I thought. From “Prometheus " we can see that the director Ridley Scott, 75 years old, feel[s] powerless about many characterization, and the subject of film is not so clear, the film spend most of the time to take about Alien instead of human resource. At last we still did not get it.
This movie is still very good. It is exactly like the first ALIEN. Anyway it is very good science fiction movie; I like it very much.

Teacher's Note: Thank you for posting. Glad you enjoyed it despite the movie's ambiguity.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :P
feng.lai

Postby bella9015 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:09 pm

At the first, I didn't want to see this movie because I don't like SF movies. However, this movie was quite interesting. I don't believe Alien[s] so that I don't believe that Alien made human being either. However, the movie was made realistic so that I could believe theory that Alien was my ancestor if I hadn't had any knowledge about Alien. The computer graphic was also realistic, for example, the woman who was pregnant Alien had got surgery by machine, it was disgusting to me. I enjoyed this movie but I don't want to watch this kind of movie anymore.... :shock:

Teacher's Note: I am actually a fan of the sci-fi genre (surprise), but I prefer less of the horror and more of the awe and inspiration. For this reason, I was a little disappointed in Prometheus. I think Hollywood has learned the horror sells tickets. Prometheus did quite well at the box office. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)
bella9015

Postby jonghyun.na » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi. Sorry for my late posting. I joined this class one week later so I couldn't see the first part of the movie. This movie suggests to us thinking about a thousands-year old, but still fascinating, question. "Who did create human beings? Where did we come from?" If you actually belive that the mighty absolute being really exists and created us, like many religions do, that being could exists in the form of the God or other forms such as an alien.

If you take just theoretical and hypothesical step to answer this question, you probably don't need somewhat really existing. It could be a just Big-Bang. The controversy over this question is also thousands-year old, probably originated with the very beginning of us. I'm just curious about what the director Ridley Scott would answer this question in the next movie of this series. So far, he just gave us how those creatures "Alien" were created. Maybe, it's his strategy to gather more audiences to see the next movie.

Thank Mike for good movie. I really enjoyed it, even though I'm not a big fan of SF movies.

Teacher's Notes: Yes, it seems in this Prometheus, Scott chooses only to ask the question, perhaps saving the answer for another trip to the theater. Clever man. Of course, neither he nor anyone also has any scientific evidence in this department. But IMHO, it makes for a fun movie. Several students in the class mentioned that they're not big fans of sic-fi. I'm a little disappointed by this, but I shouldn't be surprised, especially if sic-fi is combined with horror. Thanks for a nice post.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
jonghyun.na

Postby Piedad San Martin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Prometheus is a science fiction film that fulfills its mission: make viewers get involved while watching the movie. Although it is not my favorite kind of movie, I must admit that it is interesting. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat. The story, the characters and the tenebrous [?] scenes made you want to know what was [is] gonna happen next.

It is an original story for me, and I think the actors somehow make the story more believable. On the other hand, I think there are some facts that escape a little bit of the history. One thing that caught my attention was the ability Dr. Elizabeth had to recover so fast after her surgery. I found it was a little bit unrealistic after a cesarean section.

Another thing that for me did not have much connection was when one of the scientists becomes an alien and returns to the ship in order to kill them all. For me it was a little disconnected from the story. I would recommend this movie only to the ones that appreciate this kind of topic; I think that they will really be entertained by this movie.

Teacher's Notes: This author raises some good points. For me, the fact that Elizabeth recovers so quickly falls under the category of "suspension of belief". When I watch a movie, I figure there's a good chance something in the story wouldn't happen in my real world. This is especially true of sic-fi, but consider romance movies. Hollywood loves to tell unlikely stories because they are usually the most interesting. I'm glad that you liked Prometheus. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:
Piedad San Martin

Next

Return to Movie Reports