[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - RANGO

RANGO

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

RANGO

Postby maikuu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:13 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: RANGO

Postby Yumi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi!

This YUMI!
I really enjoyed watching this movie. When I was young, I often watched animation movies, though recent years I haven't watched it
so it was interesting. Also RANGP is cute and ugly (In Japan, cute and ugly is fashionable trend)

About the massage of this movie, I guess that this movie represents today's political society.
In Japan, many politicians only think about themselves especially how to earn incredible amount of money.
Politicians have made policy which is only profitable to them. They don't care about happiness of citizens.
In this movie, mayor represents politicians and water represents money.
However, at the end of movie, RANGO broke the society which is only good for politicians.
As a result, the citizens became happy! :) :)
Also we, Japanese people, really need RANGO!!!

Hey Yumi-- We American people really need Rango, too. Cute and ugly is a good way to describe this critter. Thanks for being the first to post.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Yumi

Postby khalidfs » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 pm

hi this is khalid. I really enjoyed the movie, rango but i dont like wild west stories for example the new 2013 movie django. I think it is the same as that movie, but somewhat different. i i think it was weird for johnney depp playing a lizard. In OTHER MOVIE LIKE FOR EXAMPLE IN PIRATES OF THE CARABEAN HE DIFFERENT THERE.

Hi Khalid-- Glad you like Rango in spite of your preferences about old-west stories. Yes, Johnny Depp is so different as Rango, but is Rango really that different from Jack Sparrow? Hmm . . .

Big thanks for posting. --mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :x
khalidfs

Postby cemozbek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi everyone :D

This is Cem. At my age 22, I am still addicted to cartoons, animations and comics. I never give up and I always love them. My father is addicted to western movies, so I have watched a lot of western movie since I was a child. However, antagonists in the movie were chosen very well. Sometimes antagonists in western movies are look like snake and crocodile :D In addition to this, I really liked Rango. Except some of white lies, he is very honest and naive. Eventhough he had had a quiet life in the aquarium as an actor, then he tried to save whole the town and brough the water to town.

Hey Cem-- So we're still addicted to the mouse. H-m-m . . . And Westerns, also referred to as Oaters (because horses eat oats). This qualifies us to have great insight here. Nice piece of writing. I like how you look at the other side of the equation - the antagonist, an important character to create conflict. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
cemozbek

Postby xin jin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi, I am King, and the reason why "Old West" story is popular in Westerns is the cult of heroes. In the "rango", people can see how the foolish lizard becomes a hero from a retarded. In this kind of films, the hero means the savior, the faith, the only hope to fight with the evil, a symbol of the strength which can compete the evil but normal people can not.Why people want hero? because commonly, everyone has the experience that encounter some trouble he can not overcome.In this world, something are always unexpected, also there are always some problems that just perseverance or belief or power can not save.In that situation, people will hope there are somebody who can help them to save the problems.In the "rango", the people living in the Dirt meet a big trouble, and they have to wait for the saviors, a person who can help them find water. at last, rango comes to the town, but rango knows that he is not the savior. He becomes a hero at the end of the film, but this is not important in this question, the point is people ask for hope, like the Christians ask for Jesus. This appeal is the eternal and common for everyone, so this kind of film can easily resonate people's emotion. If a film can resonate people's emotion, it means this film will be accepted, so this is the reason why " Old West" story is popular.

Hello King-- This thesis does a fine job of describing the unlikely hero, a classic icon in any kind of movie but especially the Western genre. One thing I find interesting about Rango is that it is able to wrap itself around the Western genre and breathe new life into it. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino) also does a good job with this. If the story can find a way to make the unlikely hero resonate with the audience, the movie is a winner. Thanks for posting, my man.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :?:
xin jin

Postby Eunyoung » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Hello, this is Eunyoung(Angela).

As a matter of fact, I don’t really like someone who do nothing but have unreasonable fortunes. In this movie, Rango is that kind of character. Although he didn’t have bad intention at all, he had deceived people and had been arrogant when he was admired and believed in by people. In this sense, Rango, himself, is not so attractive to me. However I want to appreciate his achievement which expelled villains and brought water into the village. In summary, at first, Rango had had no concern about the value of water in the village, but as time went by, he realized it and finally became real hero by providing water to the village.(How can I hate this hero? ;) )

Dear Angela-- Funny, I had a similar reaction the first time I watched Rango with the intention of creating a whole-movie ESL lesson for this web site. After about fifteen minutes, I was ready to pull the plug, but a little voice in my head kept saying, "Don't be silly. Johnny Depp is Rango. It's gotta get better." So I kept watching the movie, created the lesson (which you have) and by the end of the movie, I really cared about that ugly little lizard who called himself Rango. Big thanks for posting. --mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :evil:
Eunyoung

Postby zhijian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi, it's Luke!
Rango is a cliche character in American moives, who bravado, ambitous, and is actually nobody but kind of brave and upright. I believe why Amercian people like those guys and old west story is that Amercian people admire bravery and like taking adventure. I love rango because I believe sometimes we don't need a cautious and modest elite but a brave hero to try.
The moive use many scene to describe the desert, the huge sun, the dry flora. Besides, the music is very important, the wild music make people believe it is a hard place to survive.

Ni Hao Luke-- This paragraph describes the Rango cliché pretty well. I think there is one other reason why this kind of character is popular in American culture. It is his spirit of independence, a deeply ingrained value which we all learn about from childhood here in "The land of the free; the home of the brave." Thanks for weighing in on a cool movie.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
zhijian

Postby catherinew94 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi, this is Catherine,

I would like to answer to the question "What is the movie's message about the environment? Is the message effective?".
In fact, I really like the movie. Not only because it deals with a topical which is the environment issue but also because the director had the idea to treat this topical with humor through Rango, a very funny character. Unconfident and naive at the beginning of the movie, Rango become the real symbol of what courage is and lead the audience to look deeply at some problems.
The movie give the message that something you can widely have by turning the faucet of your sink, can disappear and become as rare as gold. By providing the illustration of the human's world, full of water and green grass in the middle of the desert, the movie shows to the spectator how certain humans monopolize and waste the water while other have a lack of it.
Behind the childish but subtle humor is hiding a real scenario which makes people aware of the environment situation.

Hello Catherine from Coachella-- I think this mini-essay makes a favorable point in pointing out how humor helps to deliver a serious message. Nobody likes to be preached at, but if we hear a good story told with humor, we are more likely to take in its important message (re: moral). Thanks for a thoughtful post.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :oops:
catherinew94

Postby souzavirgilio » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello,

I am a huge fan of westerns, and it is interesting to see a film like Rango playing with the genre - its conventions, clichés, story structure etc. The idea of the "Old West" being referenced is fascinating, since it envolves elements that were used to build the American identity, especially in the first half of the 20th century. It is curious to notice, however, that the most evident reference (the films of Sergio Leone with Clint Eastwood) is not entirely American, since Leone was italian and most of his films were shot in Spain. :D

Anyways, for a western fan like me, it's great to see these aspects in a different shape, animated, and through a comic perspective!

Mr. Virgil-- I hadn't considered the European influence in Rango, but I get your point. After all, Johnny Depp, about as European as we Americans get, is Rango. I think I read somewhere that those old Eastwood movies were filmed in Spain partly to save expenses, but I felt when I first saw them that they had a deeper vibe than typical American Westerns of the era. Do you think Rango is able to capture some of the Sergio Leone vibe? Thanks for your thoughts.
--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:
souzavirgilio

Postby Abood93 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi it's Abdullah
Rango is really a good movie I remember when I went to the movies to see it, and when I was watching the movie I was laughing the whole time, and the weird part is I was the only one laughing and that made the movie funner lol

Rango it's a movie about a lizard, and he was as a pat in some family, so he didn't know anything about the real world, and when he was with his family they were driving in the desert and he accidentally fell from the car after that the movie began of him trying to find water to drink and he realize that water is really hard to get and it's really expensive.
Abood93

Return to Movie Reports