SCHOOL OF ROCK

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: SCHOOL OF ROCK

Postby onahna » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 am

L/O/V/E SCHOOL OF ROCk♡

1. A school president calls to his (Who?) home, and look[s] for his friend to offer part time job(school teacher) to his friend. However, Dewey get[s] a call, and fraud to the president that he is a Ned(he is a man that the president is looking for). After all, Dewey goes to school and get a job.

2. One day, Dewey see[s] that his class students plays classic instruments such as a piano, guitar. So, he think[s] that if he teach[es] students how to play rock music, he can form a rock band. So, after his students come back to class, he deceive his students that if they win the rock contest they can easily enter good colleges. Students accept his idea, and then form a School Of Rock!!!!!!

3. Dewey is crazy about rock. He just think[s] about rock everyday! So, first day at school, He never teach[es] students anything. and just sit[s] on and play guitar. However, he begins change. He really think[s] about his students, and truly keep[s] in touch with students.

4. The movie, 'School Of Rock' was really famous in Korea when I was 6th grade in Elementry school. That time, I never watched this movie. I just thought that It would be a story about music in school. However, after I had watched this movie in USC, I regreted that why I watch this valuable movie now.

This movie consisted of full of fun, but also, included impression. These days, Many students have to study really hard. Of course, they do not have enough time to hanging around with their friends, this movie talked to us that adults have to help our children(s) to bringing their potential out, and also, it taught us first duty of students is happy not a study.

Teacher's note: Thanks for a thorough job. The level of vocabulary and general syntax in this piece suggests a fairly high level of writing, yet this author consistently omits the "s" ending on the present simple tense. Let's be sure and check for GPS in our writing. The summary is presented as a list which seems unusual, but I like it because it breaks up the subtopics, and makes it easy to follow. I'm thrilled that this film made such a strong impression on this author. Nice post!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :idea:
onahna

Postby ermek » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 am

There are a lot of movies for children out there, and School of Rock is one of the typical American comedies with predictable ending. :D However, the fact that the movie has not brought anything new to the movie industry does not take out all the positive things we saw during the classes. The movie actors showed their charisma and positive energy alongside the entire movie.

Dewey Finn, the main character of School of Rock, seems [to be an] unsuccessful musician, who however always had [a] passion to rock and everything that is correlated. He decides to counterfeit his identity in order to get a job of a substitute instead of his friend and a roommate Ned Schneebly. :geek:

The substitute of the teacher for the third grade children is not a bad option for Dewey when especially you don't have to teach children but just to sleep and play rock. After a while Dewey notices that the children of his class have enormous talents in music, so he comes up with an idea of the "class project" with participation in the contest of rock bands. At the end, even if they didn't win the main prize, all the characters of the movie remained happy because, as I said previously, this was a typical American movie with happy ending but very good typical movie. ;)

Teacher's note: Typical or atypical? Interesting point. Seems to moi that comedies, like "School of Rock," are more likely to fall into the typical catagory. In other words, I suggest that it is more challenging to come up with a new concept in comedy (than in drama). I think the premise herein is pretty rocking original, but the story line follows a predictable course. How then, is it possible to create original comedy? Judd Apatow and Ben Stiller are two writers who come to mind as having succeeded in this arena. Thanks for an insightful post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Last edited by ermek on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ermek

Postby lucasliu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 am

1 He can get a job at the school because he use fake identity. when he was kicked out from his former band and his friend urge him to pay the rent, he began to think how to get money . At this time , he got a call which are looking for his friend to take sub one teacher's place. then he got a idea, and decided to use his friend's identity and make money for living.

2 first of all, forming a band need find people who can play music instrument, such as guitar, piano,drum set. Then, each people should be in right position and develop their talent.Last, the players should work together to make sounds become coordination.

3 Dewey is a really rocker. He know[s] everything in the rock area, such as history and soul of rock. In his mind, rock is not the music which waste[s] time to play poker and drunk, it is the expression of people's mind. It is a happy and positive music. He also is a dreamer. He live[s] in his friend's apartment, even though he said they share the rent , he never pay[s] it. He have nothing but rock. However, he never think[s] to give up his music.

4 This movie is very funny and be worth watching. Everyone has talent, the problem is we always ignore it. To be a good student is not the only way to present a person's value.As a student, we have much homework and don[']t have time to enjoy life. I think the parents should pay more attention to what they children like, not what they have to do .

thank you i really enjoy this movie!

Teacher's note: Yes, "School of Rock" is so-o-o-o funny, but I think also sad. What happens to a guy like Dewey in real life? I have worked in the "biz" and known many a rocker in Dewey's shoes, getting older, short on genuine talent. . . . What becomes of these guys? Like I said. As for GPS, the most common egregious badness is those "s" endings on present simple. Let's be mindful of this, authors! Thank you for a really nice post!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
lucasliu

Postby alqurashi88 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 pm

1. He was staying at his friend’s house after he got kicked out of his band. When the phone rang and he answered and pretend to be his friend and accepted the job offer from the school.
2. In order to form a rock band you will need musicians. People who play guitars, piano, drums and a lead singer. With the above, a band can be formed with the right practice and dedication they will reach the top.
3. His character at first was lazy, disliked by others and a crasher. But as the movie progressed the kids at school fell in love with his character and they adored him.
4. I liked the movie even though am not into hard rock or metal. The story of the movie is quite interesting and appealing to all types of people

Teacher's note: Here is another numbered post. No problem, but it's not necessary at all to number your points. I'd prefer something a little more free-spirited. this is a place to melt faces. Those of us about to rock. . . we salute you. Glad you enjoyed "School of Rock".

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
alqurashi88

Postby fasazh83 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:27 pm

In my opinion, this film not only about music, but about relationship between people. Maybe it gives us [an] example [of] how should being folded relationship between people. Maybe the relationship between people should be like music?!

Teacher's note: A big idea in a few words! This rocks. I've been is a few bands, and they always seem like a family, where each member has a defined role and responsibility. I would like to hear a little more detail from this author. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
fasazh83

Postby jasonlou1994 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:14 pm

1.How does Dewey get a job at the school?
Dewey got job through a phone-call from the school that suppose to be pick up by Ned Schneebly, as Dewey imitated Ned's voice and since School principle never seen Ned's appearance before. On the other hand, he was also kicked-out from his own band by his teammate, which means he doesn't have any income resources, so he decided to take over Ned's part-time job to become a substitute teacher. As a result, Dewey stole the job from Ned.

2.How do you form a rock band(process)?
His rock band is full of talented students from the school he was teaching at. Since he took over Ned's job at a elementary school, instead of wasting time everyday to let his students fool around, He decided to make a band with every single students in the class. Surprisingly, everything worked out in the end of the story, Dewey taught students extremely well in rock music.

3.Describe Dewey's Character.
Dewey is stubborn, lazy, and extremely wacko while he was playing guitar. But all in all, i knew he will be successful in his life, because he is chasing his dream no matter how hard the circumstance is going to be. And not many people can do this anymore.

My own point of view:
I loved this movie and i will keep on loving it. Because it gives me a motivation of having a dream. I really want to be what I am dreaming of everyday. Dewey worked hard for his dream, and at the end, he deserved what he worked hard for. By the way, we don't get what we wish for, we get what we work for.

Teachers note: I think this author has the spirit of rock and roll: "Stick it to the man." Never give up." "Dream baby dream". Thanks author for such an inspiring post.

--mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :oops:
jasonlou1994

Re: SCHOOL OF ROCK (Mike)

Postby Kaoriic » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:03 am

School of Rock, first move that I watched in this class was interesting. Although it is not my type of movie, I could enjoy it. With no job, Dewey Finn taught me that passion and motivation was the most important thing to succeed in what I would like to undertake. Even though the class did not won the contest, they did their best and the audiance was cheering. This scene really caught my feelings.

Kaori
Kaoriic

Previous

Return to Movie Reports