[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - Bowling for Columbine: BRIEF HISTORY OF USA

Bowling for Columbine: BRIEF HISTORY OF USA

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Bowling for Columbine: BRIEF HISTORY OF USA

Postby maikuu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:05 am

Attachments
Racism.jpg
Racism.jpg (148.14 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: Bowling for Columbine: BRIEF HISTORY OF USA

Postby DDF2 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 pm

I was surprised at this length of this movie. It has only three minutes, but I understood the content. Through this film, I learned not only American history but also many English words. I thought that watching movies repeatedly and learning English words improve my English skills.

I would like to watch such kind of movies again.

Thank you!

Teacher's note: Thanks for posting first. I'm glad you found this lesson so helpful. This is actually a short-sequence from a 2-hour movie called "Bowling for Columbine". There are currently about 35 short-sequence lessons at http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com/ShortS ... ssons.html.

But this post does not really address the prompt (fact or opinion?). Yes this is a history, but do you think it is objective or subjective? This is an important question to ask when watching a documentary or even the TV news in the evening. We are being fed media information all the time, and it is our responsibility to understand how objective it is.

So . . . dear author, what do you think ? ? ?

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com
DDF2

Postby deh » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 pm

In Michael Moore’s version of history there are many facts like: how the European arrived in America, what they did with the Indians and Africans and what the Africans did to be free. But when he said the Americans didn’t work, it is his opinion.

I enjoyed this short story, although very fast, has a little funny and satire. Mainly because the story is told by a bullet!

Teacher's note: Told by a talking bullet. How ironic indeed. Did you also notice what was omitted? Actually lots. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com
deh

Postby Jason_Eom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:42 pm

At first, in class, when we talked about the happening in Boston, I was surprised because I've been there and when I was in Freedom trail, I saw the many thing of US history. And also, this movie was [an] animation movie so it was really helpful to understand, so was good.

I think the facts are that how the Europeans can arrive America and about the contracts that cause the racism.

This movie is really valuable I think.

Teacher's note: I'm glad you found a personal connection by actually visiting Boston. Along with other cities along the Eastern end of the U.S., Boston is a part of its historical birthplace. I'm still looking for a critical response to this brief history of America. Has anyone noticed what's included and what's not? What is fact and what is opinion? Let's be honest.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :idea:
Jason_Eom

Postby hanadi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:28 pm

the movie was very short[.] actually I could not understand every single thing but I got the general idea[.] I learned a lot of new word[.] it will be useful[.] I like the history so I like the movie[.] :)

Teacher's note: First off, I would like this author to be aware of periods (full stops in U.K.). I counted five that were missing. The dialogue in this sequence is very fast, so if this author got the main idea, that is cool. Plus,this author learned new vocabulary. What's not to like? Cool, and thanks for posting!

--mike :arrow:www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
hanadi

Postby HarukaMaekawa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:33 pm

In spite of the length of it, this video was very impressive. I respect this director's talent for technical irony...lol

I think, in this video, historical facts are true, like the emigration of European to America, the use of black people as savages, and the establishment of KKK. However, many details of history were changed into too simple and radical. Basically, any histories are complicated, so we cannot explain a history in such a short time...

However, I enjoyed this video, so I think it's OK for fun!

Thank you.

Teacher's note: So far, this author does the best at separating fact from opinion. But MGE requests a little more detail. . . Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
HarukaMaekawa

Postby Nurly » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Even though Bowling for Columbine: BRIEF HISTORY OF USA (Mike) is really short movie I have ever seen before, it includes completely important historical stories. For me as a learner English understanding was difficult. However, I appreciate this job, because making 3 minutes movie about history of old country like the US requires creativity, I guess. In addition, I got a lot of information, especially about Thanksgiving days and I understood why we are going to get break. I should not forget to mention that I was learned new useful words.

Teacher's note: Well thank you for an all around response to this three-minute, short-sequence ESL movie lesson. This lesson happens to be part of a two-hour film by Michael Moore called "Bowling for Columbine."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Nurly

Postby DDF2 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:30 pm

I was surprised at this length of this movie. It has only three minutes, but I understood the content. Through this film, I learned not only American history but also many English words. I thought that watching movies repeatedly and learning English words [could] improve my English skills.

Although I was studying American history when I was a high school students, I am start[ing to] forget it. This movie reminded me it a little. I thought that I would like to watch a movie about American history that [was] longer than this movie. The funny character's tone was too fast for me, but because of his high voice and tone, I could try to listen carefully. I would like to watch such kind of movies again.

Thank you!

Teacher's note: Yes the talking bullet is a little hard to understand. My thanks to this author for revisiting this topic and adding some clarification. There are a number of cool films that delve into American history. I like "The New World" and "Glory". Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
DDF2

Postby Molly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:03 pm

I like this short movie. It describes the history in an ironic style. However, it's all true. America has come to its domination by violence. Natural American's extermination, slavery, weapons. And it still continues. I don't understand politics, I don't even try. But I think, many wars could have been avoided if not America.

We were born in a very interesting century. New technologies help to create new KKK online. And replace the Colt comes biological weapons.
Molly

Postby amroalsanousi » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:14 pm

i like that movie it loaded a short history story. i didnt know the exact story, but i knew the whole story after i saw the movie[.] it was really amazing movie.
amroalsanousi

Next

Return to Movie Reports